3 PP cards and card differentiation

Valentino
as I stated since the beginning of my contribution to this forum PP distribution in a deck is vital to make the deck run.

Today I am going to explain two concepts:
a) Card in hand differentiation
In order to make the concept simple I am going to bring you in front of 4 scenarios. In both of them you have 4 cards in your hand
a.1) you have 4 pyrohydras in your hand
a.2) you have 1 pyrohydra, 1 Ruby dragon, 1 Sea dragon and 1 Deepthing sea
a.3) you have 1 pyrohydra, 1 Ruby dragon, 1 lava giant and 1 Triton assassin
a.4) you have 1 pyrohydra, 1 sea snakes, 1 flamespider and 1 triton aquamancer

Which of the scenarions would you prefer?
While it should be clear that a.1 is not the best scenario possible, it is not immediate to distinguish the difference between a.2 a.3 and a.4

in a.1 you have only 1 option. Nothing else.
in a.2 you have 4 options however that hand is vulnerable to vortex
in a.3 you still have 4 options and is not vulnerable to vortex however if you play any 4 pp card then you waste 1 pp
in a.4 you have again 4 options and is not vulnerable to vortex but also you can play tandems which means that you have a choice of 3 permutations to play (hydra, sea snakes + aquamancer or flamespider + aquamancer) and none of them brings to waste pp.

So what is the take away from this example?
1.) if you don't know which card you should play and you have duplicates (which don't waste your pp) then play the duplicates, it will make you stronger on next turn
2.) if you don't know which card to play and you have more cards with the same pp cost then play one of those cards (if it does not waste pp), it will make you stronger on next turn
3.) if you don't know which card to play and you have more cards with different pp cost then play the one which is not complementary as pp to 5 with the other cards. It will make you stronger on next turn.

Why stronger on next turn? because you'll have more options on next draw and you'll be more flexible to anything the opponent could play, compared to your current hand.

b) the importance of a 3 pp card
Now let's assume that you don't have in your hand the card you want to play but you know that's in the deck - which means you still have to draw it.
it requires 2 pp to draw an extra card and you have 5 pp available
when you extradraw you have 3 pp left.
if the card you need is 3 pp and you extradraw it you can play it without wasting pp
if the card you need is >3pp then you cannot play it (unless you have pp boosters) and must wait for next turn
if the card you need is <3pp you can still play it but you risk to waste pp if you do not have the complementary pp card

now, what if you don't draw the card you need?
If you have ANY other 3 pp card already in your hand then that's your B plan in order not to waste PP!!!

----
was this helpful? would you like to read more about this stuff? please contribute to the forum!

Re: 3 PP cards and card differentiation

Molotch
This was extremely helpful and, as a new player, was great to see something that all made sense and, most importantly, carried strategies that I am already using within my games.
The only downside was that I am not fully aware of all the example cards that you posted, (and I cannot look the cards up due to being on a PC) although I could understand all of your thinking through your excellently worded overview.