A different kind of tournament

Quintivarium
This column is NOT initiating an unofficial, user generated tournament/contest; rather, it is soliciting feedback for the possibility of one.  If an actual contest arises from this discussion, it will be posted on a new thread.

For some time I have been interested in a deck design contest -- the basic idea is that competitors could post one or two decks they wish to enter.  Others would play those decks (preferably several games for each deck) and rate them somehow.  The top rated deck(s) would, at some point in time, be recognized as winner(s).

Unlike tournaments where players actually face off against each other in games, entries could be tested by raters in either PVP or against the AI, and raters can adjust their judgment for the effect of luck or poor play.

Advantages this type contest would have over the traditional tournament include:
     A.  It is not limited to PVP players.
     B.  It encourages sharing rather than secrecy of decks.
     C.  It is more visable to the community.

Challenges include:
     A.  Getting meaningful participation.
     B.  Establishing a fair and feasible rating system.
     C.  Raters potentially limited access to cards required
          for a particular deck.  Not everyone has 4 copies
          of every card, but many of the most interesting
          decks are loaded with rare cards.

So my questions for readers of this thread are
     1.  Would you be interested in posting a deck for such a contest?
     2.  Would you be interested in playing and rating decks posted?
     3.  Do you have any suggestions to make this type of contest more feasible?
Please respond in this thread.

Re: A different kind of tournament

Valentino
Yes, as I like more deckbuilding than playing I am surely into it.

However I think that we should have well defined the criteria on how to judge a deck and the scoring system before starting such contest.

My proposal is to have the following criteria:
a) Opening
b) Quickness
c) Controlling
d) Flexibility
e) Combos (Card symbiosis)
f) Power Point use

Re: A different kind of tournament

Valentino
If you think limited access to cards can generate some problems we can set the rules to use only common cards.

Re: A different kind of tournament

This might be harder than it sounds.  What if I suggested these criteria:

durability
consistency
robustness
flexibility
symbiosis
creativity

I'm not really serious about these criteria, but criteria would have to be independent of playing style.

Re: A different kind of tournament

Valentino
How would you define each of those?

Re: A different kind of tournament

Quintivarium
Durability -- how long a player can survive before losing all 20 life
Consistency -- how resilient a deck is when facing bad luck
Robustness -- how well the deck plays against unfavorable deck match-ups
Flexibility -- how many ways the deck can adapt to counter an opponent.
Creativity -- how different the deck is from others

I'm not serious about these criteria -- I just wanted to present some that would favor defensive play styles as opposed to offensive styles.

By the way, I think rating criteria are useful -- but we do have to be careful to keep them unbiased relative to styles of play.