Asian markets, international compatibility

Asian markets, international compatibility

.Confused.
This morning, I played a korean player.

I was surprised, but not confused (well, that i am, but anyway) since i happen to read and write korean. His/her name is 이야아. I also happen to have the hangul alphabet on my ipad keyboard.

My point is that most people don't!
I don't speak japanese, russian, chinese, arabic, greek or many other languages using a different writing system and none of these are on my keyboard, since i would not know where to begin when trying to type. This challenge might stop Spellcraft from reaching a huge potential market and I was wondering what can be done about that.

I might be poor 이야아's only gamecenter friend in this cruel world! Ok, ok, that's just drama.
Sorry I don't have a solution, only a question.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

markturnergoblin
we could really do with translating the game into more languages,but it is expensive and what money we make goes back into the basic game. We will start with the rule book.We just had russian done and Orange is converting it to Chinese for us. If any one out there would like to transalte the 6 page rulebook into any other langugae we can pay in gold. Loads of gold!

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

.Confused.
Oh la la!
If nobody is on it already, I can do French. I could also do a passable Spanish but would not risk Korean.
Let me know and I'll be on it, and fast.
.C.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

Art
I was just going to say Korean is a big gaming market.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

Thanks, If you can do spanish and/or french we will send out a goblin dispatch rider with a truck load of gold for you.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

.Confused.
Done deal! French & Spanish on their way.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

.Confused.
Deal done. French and Spanish handed out!

I was more than generously compensated on my effort and dedication in doing these translations. If it can motivate you, go for it! Help the Goblins establish a greater player base by jumping over the language barriers!

I was asked whether I wanted to share my gold reward with anyone else and I found no use for it, since the effort was mine alone, apart from a native Hispanophone colleague who doesn't play Spellcraft. -- BUT --

... but it made me think of something. If someone does come up with a mandarin, korean, arabic, russian, potato, greek or slavic translation and I find it cool that they did that, I would love to be able to give them a tip of a few gold coins. This could make our community much more dynamic and also allow me to thank, say Quint, for the genius efforts he has made in multiple forum threads. Just a small token of recognition that goes above the dull "like" button we all got sick of and doesn't really mean anything, since you're not "invested" in your opinion.

I don't know how much of a programming nightmare I'm asking for and would definitively put that below new factions in a priorities list, but at least my idea is out there

Oh no... more smilies.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

markturnergoblin
Have a button that enables you to send someone gold? not sure how easy would be to do though.

Re: Asian markets, international compatibility

Hey Confused,

I think that's a great idea and we did consider it sometime ago, and it would be interesting to do - but I wonder how many people would actually use it! :)

The simplest implementation would enable gold transfer while in a 2-player game. Would people use that?