Assumptions

Quintivarium
Based on an experience I recently had, I want to warn other players about making unexamined assumptions about other players.

I was playing a game where game center was dropping data right and left.  I knew there were things going on that weren't displayed on my screen.  After repeatedly asking my opponent what he (she?) saw/did so I could react, and getting no response, I was appalled at my opponent's lack of sportsmanship.  As I was about to add this player to my very short list of those I would rather not play, I finally did get a response.  "I don't speak English."

I think it is important for all players to be careful about assumptions we might make about other player's motives.  If they seem insensitive, maybe they don't communicate well in your language.  If they make a lot of stupid mistakes, maybe they are not bad players: maybe they are distracted, or falling asleep (Spellcraft players span the world's time zones).  If they play slowly, maybe they are trying to finish your game despite tending to an injured child, feeding an awakened baby, responding to a knock on the door, etc.

Lately, I've seen a lot of what appears to me to be intolerance; I know I've been guilty of it.  I know I will redouble my efforts to remain courteous -- even if my opponent is not.

The Spellcraft community is very much a global one spanning culture, age, language, profession, background, interests, standards, etc.  For the most part, it is a very good one.  I call one everyone to work to keep it that way.

Re: Assumptions

Great comment, and applies equally well to all areas of life :)

Re: Assumptions

Alvin
You are a Great Example; it's been like 4 days I've been playing this game; and I know only you in these forums community; you contribute enormously; thanks man

Re: Assumptions

Quintivarium
Thank you.

While I enjoy writing about a game I love, it is always nice to know that others appreciate and benefit from it as well.