Bigger Numbers!

Toimu
What I mean by that very vague title is multiply all card cost/minion strength/minion health etc... by 100.

Exp:
Grizzlies Cast Cost is 3, Strength is 3, and Health is 2.

If you multiply all of these by 100 you get:
Grizzlies Cast Cost is 300, Strength is 300, and Health is 200.

This will make balancing cards much easier without changing the current game... other than all the programming and graphics .

If the Goblins think Grizzlies are too powerful, with large numbers they can make micro adjustments (reducing Grizzlies Health from 200 to 190 is -5%).  With small numbers, only macro adjustments can be made (reducing Grizzlies health fom 2 to 1 is -50%).  This will also allow a lot more cards to be introduced.

The reason most CCGs use these very small numbers that are difficult to balance is because we used to play CCGs in person with real cards.  The small numbers made it easy to keep track of everything with tokens.  Now with computers (and this is a computer game), larger numbers can easily be used.

Re: Bigger Numbers!

SteveGoblin
Hello Toimu,

Thanks for your post!

Yes, you are of course totally right about the CPU making all the calculations, which, at first glance, would suggest that bigger numbers would be useable. (Curiously, however, a lot of the physical CCGs aimed at younger people also favour big numbers — the designers probably think it makes the monsters more powerful and exciting.)

However, as games get harder, versus tougher AI or better players, the player has to start mentally thinking ahead with questions like "How long will this Bear be able to stay alive against that Dragon?". So the large numbers would then make those calculations quite cumbersome.
Imagine this example: Opponent has 145 life. You have a Bear 25, Dragon 55, Fey 15, Hydra 35. Is it enough for a one-turn kill? Hopefully you can see what I mean.

Also, so far, I think we have the balancing act sorted out. This is because we don't only have the two main stats, Strength and Health, to play with.  If we did, it would be almost impossible. We have those in combination with other basic abilities such as Stealth, and any number of special abilities all of which can be rebalanced if needed at very fine levels of detail.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve

Re: Bigger Numbers!

Toimu
Ahh yes, I remember playing games with a calculator next to me trying to figure out my best next move...  Not a good idea with live PvP because of how slow the games are.

Funny about physical CCGs now using bigger numbers to look cool!  As I haven't played a physical CCG in 20 years, I'll have to your word for it.