Card Idiosyncrasies

12345

Card Idiosyncrasies

Quintavarium
There are a few things I've noticed about certain cards that, while subtle, may be unexpected.  I will list those of which I am aware here, and invite others to add to the list.

1.  Start of turn effects go from left to right across rows of a deck.  If I have wild growth to the left of burning world, it gives one life before burning world takes it away so a one health minion survives.  When I place the cards in the other order, burning world kills the minion before wildgrowth can give it life.

2.  When I play a shimmersquid or firebird, and it is countered by a lost at sea, its effect (the health or strength loss) is still inflicted on my opponent.  I can't recall if the effects of aqualid mages or aqualid hunters are invoked.  I have never played one against a waiting grave trap.

3.  When I play a stitched golem against the power card that inflicts one dameage when a card is played, the stitched golem takes the damage before it gets the extra health and strength from minions in my discard pile and is immediately destroyed (even if it would have been 6 strength 6 health).  I have not observed whether this happens if a stiched golem is played opposite a cinderbox trap.

4.  Cards like undead dragons and darkling assassins are allowed to use their special abilities and burn powerpoints -- even when the opponent opposite cannot be affected (e.g. is a barrier).  Cards like triton aquamancers are not allowed to target cards they cannot affect.

5.  Living bomb can target a non-magic creature of mine opposite a magic resistant creature of my opponent.  It destroys my creature without harming the opponent.

6.  Body swap cannot target a magic resistant creature -- but it can target a non-resistant creature opposite one.  Unlike living bomb, body swap does affect both cards.

7.  When aetherfish "reset" a timer on a card that does not originally have a timer (say one that was festerplagued), the timer disappears.  This definitely creates some interesting combo possibilities.

8.  Unless it has been updated, firewolves do not count as wolves as far as increasing the strength of wolfpacks goes.

9.  Lava bombs is usually detonated by attempts to remove it, but tenticles from below can safely steal it.

10.  Detonation cannot be cast on an empty path -- even though it would affect creatures on the two adjacent paths.  The aura volcanic eruption can be.

11.  Cards are removed from play at the beginning of the turn in which they have one time remaining, not at the end.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

SteveGoblin
Interesting list.

Regarding Fire Wolves: they don't give anything to other wolves, as you have correctly observed. However. They themselves ARE affected by Wolf Pack, since Wolf Pack  affects other wolf cards.
I think I need to reword this more clearly on cards - will do this now!

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

D3v222
3. Yes, cinder box does kill stitched golem, regardless of what his stats will be. :(

Regarding 9. Good tip. One way to avoid it being stolen is using melt. It can be destroyed using melt the same turn (or whenever) and do damage so It's like a 2 power heatseeker! I love that combo :D
I also wanted to add that, with heart of fire, you end up doing 3 dmg for 1 power! Sweeeet.

And 11. I don't think this is correct. I've played a lot with timed cards and I know that if its my turn and their timer is 1 they are gone at the end of the turn, not the beginning (unless of course it was on 1 during the opponents turn).

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

SteveGoblin
Yes, timers are examined at the end of a turn, then destroyed if zero

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

D3v222
Here's another one: when wild strength is played behind molten golem you keep 1 strength but continue gaining health each turn.

Might not be too useful since spore farm does the same thing and successfully deals 1 damage regardless of opposing minion, but I thought I'd mention it.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

Great thread idea!

Accursed: first reduces hand to 3, second to 1 and third accursed played increases it back to 4 cards. You can put more than one in a deck to increase your chances of drawing, but don't play more than two.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

D3v222
That's good to know, .confused. Especially since I've been working on a deck with accursed. Thanks!

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

ACCURSED : that is not right!

Ordered a can of bug spray.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

.Confused.
Goblin Steve, here me please,

I suspect, but would appreciate confirmation, that these card mishaps will be corrected by an update? (In opposition to: corrected immediately as you are made aware of them.)

This being the case, quintavarium really did us all a big favor, listing them here clearly!

Cheers,

.C.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

I will go through each one:

1. Correct. At the end of the day, there had to be some order. Breaking it down, nothing is really simultaneous. So left to right seemed as good as any. Perhaps we should add this to the manual, but I thought it is something players soon learn?

2. Yes because Lost at Sea triggers instantly, effectively destroying the target, triggering anything that happens on its destruction

3. The basic golem is a 0/1. Traps are resolved instantly.

4. Yes I can see the confusion. it is because you are not actually choosing a target. Those cards are just blasting whatever is in front (or not).  They don't need a target and you can, if you want, blast empty space with those abilities. In fact, there are a few instances where you might want to burn power.

5. Correct.  You can target one of your non-immune minions with it. But damage will only affect a non-spell immune opponent, as Living Bomb is a spell.

6. Yes. As long as you initially target a non-immune creature it will work, as it is the creature itself doing the swap, as a result of the spell.  However, this might feel inconsistent to some, so I will investigate this.

7. Yes, right!

8. Fire Wolves are affected by Wolf Pack or any other card that affects wolves(no others at moment!)
Fire Wolves don't do anything to other wolves.

9. Correct. Any attempt to destroy it and "boom".  Stealing it doesn't destroy it. It definitely keeps it for future use!

10. Detonation, to my thinking was actually making a creature blow up, not causing empty space to ignite, hence the splatter damage, and hence you cannot target empty space.

11. At the end.

Hope this helps. Number 6 needs looking into. The others are all good.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

Quintavarium
I thought of one more: when firebirds are affected by the banchees howl, they move first, then suffer damage.  The explosion then hurts the creature in front of where they are moved, not the banchee.

By the way, I do think of most of these idiosyncrasies as features, not flaws -- but they could be useful in creating/playing a deck.

Sorry about number 11.  I was thinking timer 0, not timer 1 -- but even so I was wrong!

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

Art
Thx for your post! A good help to understand the game more.

I want to add that minions and barriers cannot obtain both combat and spell immunities at the same time.  I try once to put the spell armor on a combat immune creature or wall.  The combat immunity will replace by the spell immunity.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

Quintavarium
I have a few addenda to this list.  Some of these combinations do not occur often -- forgive me if my sometimes feeble memory mixes up details.

A.  Aqualid mages do not trigger their special ability to reverse health and strength on the opponent if they are destroyed by a cinderbox trap.  I believe the same is true if destroyed by lost at sea.  This is in contrast to firebirds and shimmersquids which do invoke their powers.  I have not tried other cards such as aqualid hunters, nobling tricksters, lavaworm ravagers, etc.

B.  If stitched golems are played over the top of a minion in play, that minion is considered as being in the discard pile for purposes of adding to a stitched golem's health and strength.  Unlike other cards in the discard pile, the card replaced is not reset to its initial status first.  E.g. if the discard pile is empty and a stitched golem is played over the top of a molten golem that has decayed to 0/3, the stitched golem becomes 0/4.  If one waits to play the stitched golem until the molten golem (a 4/2 creature initially) is actually destroyed,the stitched golem becomes 4/3.

C.  Evolve copies all immunities and evasive abilities of the minion opposite, but does not appear to impact timers.  It can cancel negative effects (such as a magma sphere's loss of health every turn) which makes it very powerful in some cases.  I also observed that when it was played on a magma sphere opposite an archmage, it not only gave the magma sphere the archmage's ability to inflict 1 damage when a spell is cast, it did so soon enough that the evolve spell counted to damage the archmage.  I do not know if it would work the same opposite a skyhydra.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

markturnergoblin
Thanks for those. I have noticed Aqualid and some others not working on lost at sea and waiting grave. They did all work before, but the code has changed since.We will have to look into these more. It handy to get some detailed reports. You would make a good tester!

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

Jambo(75)
Shadowfiend and Shadow Dragon special ability seems rather baffling. Play them opposite a quick minion and they get quick but don't attack in the round they're played. Play them opposite a unicorn and they get the health ability but don't give you the 3 health.  Overall it seems rather lacklustre.

Any ideas how these should be working? Are there timing issues?

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

markturnergoblin
These 2 are actually playing right. When shadow dragon is played ,it then copies the unicorns ability which is ' when played you gain 3 life'. However as the shadow dragon is already in play so does not gain this benefit. The same would be true for casting Evolve on something.
Shadow dragon would not become ready from fast either as it has entered play unready and copied the opposing minion.Although it does gain the quick ability, if not that useful in this case
Its best to use Shadow dragon on targets that you can use their abilities. Ones that say 'when this card comes in play' will do nothing as Shadow dragon is already in play and then copies the target.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

Quintavarium
I just realized there is more to the issue of playing stitched golems over the top of other cards.  It appears that when any card is played over the top of another card, the replaced card's statistics are not reset when it goes to the discard pile.  This is different than destroyed cards which are reset.  In my last game I played a magmasphere over the top of a magma elemental with 2 strength and one health.  After the magma elemental was destroyed, I played a stitched golem.  It came out 5/5, much to my surprise.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

SteveGoblin
Thanks for that, it may well be a bug. Will be squashed in the next release.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

For the most part, these are not really surprising, but I will post them just in case anyone else wonders, "What if ... ?"

1.  Creatures summoned by ominous eggs behave just like creatures played -- i.e. the effects of playing them are still invoked, they can trigger traps, etc.
2.  If ominous eggs are destroyed by any means, a creature is summoned; if ominous eggs are placed in the path of a tornado, they are returned to hand without summoning a creature (which makes sense -- the egg is not destroyed).
3.  If an aetherfish power acts on a creature created by delusion, the timer resets to the original timer the creature would have had when played (often removing the timer entirely).  This is consistent with how it acts on creatures granted a timer (say by overload or festerplague).
4.  Spells and effects that copy a creature (or a creature's stats) do not add the effects of auras (e.g. wildstrength).  Sink does act on a creature whose strength is brought to 3 by an aura.
5.  Given several cards of equal strength to choose from, inferno appears to destroy one chosen at random.
6.  Inferno can destroy itself.
7.  Energize does not work on cards that have already attacked in a round.  Thus if a tornado is placed opposite your giant octopus in an empty lane, you cannot attack, energize, and move to safety.  I, believe, but am not certain, that energize does not work after the attack button has been pushed (thus you cannot, for instance, allow a doom cloud to attack, replace it with a triton aquamancer, and energize the aquamancer to use its special ability).  I have not tried this with overworld elixir, although I would expect it to act similarly.

Re: Card Idiosyncrasies

.Confused.
Man, Quint!

You would definitely do a great tester!  As a customer, I'd love you to offer your services to the Goblins against gold, so we all benefit from testing being done faster (added manpower) and updates and factions being even more thoroughly perfect!!!

Just a thought, do as you wish with it. I haven't spoken to any Goblin about it so I'm really getting in other people's businesses. But then If I don't ask, as a fan, I don't get any chance of added value

Cheers,

.Confused.
12345