Cards with less abilities for same power point cost

Cards with less abilities for same power point cost

Valentino
I have a strong position about filtering out from the game cards which have less abilities for the same power point cost.

The best example I have about this is:
Underdark worm. 4/4 for 5 cost

the best alternative to it is:
Forest Dragon. 4/4 for 5 cost, which has an ability protecting you from quick creatures

Why should I use Underdark worm when there's a Forest Dragon in play, unless I have faction constraints?

I think that Underdark worm should have an ability added or Forest dragon should be reduced to 4/3 like other dragons.

Re: Cards with less abilities for same power point cost

Quintivarium
I agree in principle: a basically equivalent card with some lesser feature at the same price is never enticing -- although I may take it if faction does not give me the alternative.  But I do not necessarily agree that underdark worm is inferior to forest dragon: the move to face quick minion feature of forest dragons is a mixed blessing.  It does guard against damage from quick minions, but it allows the dragon to be deflected from a more important defensive role -- or into danger.  When playing forest underdark decks, I honestly have no preference.

Re: Cards with less abilities for same power point cost

Valentino
Would you say that necromages worths as much as aquamages?
I do not think so, despite they have the same cost.

I'd agree if necromages was starting as 1/1 card and added +1 strength for each damage caused to opponent minion and owner according its current ability.

This is just another example.

Re: Cards with less abilities for same power point cost

markturnergoblin
I dont think forest dragon is superior to underdark worm. I know I have been killed because of its ability to run off after a small fast minion.But equally it has tricked opponents too. In one game I lured away  a 4/2 forest dragon away from its barksin, killing it instantly.

Re: Cards with less abilities for same power point cost

SteveGoblin
Note: Cards are not necessarily designed to be 100% comparable across different factions.  (Close to 100%, sure, but there is a little give and take.)

This is because each faction has certain features that are considered 'typical' for that faction. If a card uses features that are 'atypical'  (e.g. a huge monster for a faction not known for huge monsters) then it may come at a very slight premium.  This is why each faction has its own distinct flavour – and future factions will continue to keep this trend up.

Additionally, commonality affects a card's abilities slightly. Whilst we are not in the business of making people have to get super-powerful rares, the rarer cards do often provide an advantage in certain circumstances – and those circumstances often demand skilful play to maximise their use.

Hopefully that helps explain some of the thinking behind the design.