Competitive timer decks

ispodean
Hey crew,

I've been experimenting and working on a competitive timer decks for a while. I just wanted to share my deck build for a tournament level timer deck.

I call this deck - Time Attack . it's an Air / Jungle Deck

Air

4 x Aerovore
4 x Aeromancer
4 x Chronomancer
4 x uncontinue
4 x Gravity well
2 x Wild Mage
2 x Brainstorm

Jungle

4 x Savage kobold
4 x Toxipede
4 x Poison Darts
4 x Pack Attack

Stratergy:

The synergy of the cards in this deck works really well. The basic stratergy is to remove enemy cards via uncontinue whilst playing pack attack.  The minions in this deck are relatively weak so gravity well is vital to victory as it pins big minions down to 2 strength allowing your chronomancers to add timers.  Gravity well will also weaken big minions allowing pack attack to finish them.   The most underrated timer card is Aerovores as it speeds up the timers.   Aerovore is also a 4 power card allowing you to play poison darts on the same turn.  Aervores, especially two of them, are also a very underrated way of removing enemy auras/items like burning world or prism.   Some good combos that the deck allows are to play savage kobold, poison darts and then either toxipede or chronomancer. This combo means that the next minion the enemy plays will have a timer.  You can then play Aeromancer which draws uncontinue and allows you to remove what ever minion the enemy played.  From this point you have 3 minions on the board to the opponents zero.  From this point I usually play gravity well and/or brainstorm to draw pack attacks.  After gravity well is established I usually try to play Wild Mage to duplicate uncontinue. Chronomancer and wildmage are a power combo as every time the enemy plays a minion you can use chronomancer to add a timer to the minion, wildmage to duplicate uncontinue and then remove enemy minions easily as they're added leaving you with one power point to play brainstorm to draw more cards.

Other benefits of the deck are:   Aerovore is a really good blocker with 3/6 health. If the opponent plays a big minion, I'll block it with Aerovore until Gravity well is on the board to lock it down.   Toxipede is also really good at blocking with 2/3 stats allowing it to survive 2 turns for just a 2 point cost.   Savage kobold is also useful as a blocker as it has evasive and draws poison darts.    The best feature of this deck is that uncontinue removes ALL cards of the same name so if an opponent plays 2-3 minions of the same name, you only need to add a timer to one of them to remove them all.  This can devastate some decks that use big minions like Deep Sea thing.

This deck works very well against tournament style decks like burning world, inferno, big minion decks, prism and blood orb as uncontinue interrupts the opponents strategy.

I have an 80% or higher win rate with this deck making it one of my most competitive decks.

This deck is vulnerable to Quick decks and also to minions like flame spider that do 1 damage upon playing. Those minions are able to eliminate the chronomancers,  To offset that I usually play chronomancer beneath a 2 strength enemy as most players are reluctant to remove a minion to simply kill a chronomancer (to their folly).

The best part of this deck is the power point optimization and likelihood of a good draw. Every card or combo utilizes 5 power points and it's every draw is a good draw as you'll always start with at least one card capable of adding a timer i.e. toxipede , savage kobold, poison darts or chronomancer.    One small and seldom encontered weakness is that occasionally you'll have both uncontinue and a brainstorm in your hand at the same time. It's a 50% chance of wildmage duplicating uncontinue so you may have to discard brainstorm to ensure you copy wildmage.   This is very rare though.

Anyway, just wanted to share the deck!

Hope you enjoy it!

Ispodean

Re: Competitive timer decks

Aurore Aileblanche
I really love this deck, thank you for sharing it ! I have already thought about a deck of this kind but never build it because i did not have any jungle cards.

I imagine that the main weakness of this deck is chronomancer, who is very fragile. You will probably loose against aquamancer/overworld elixir. Besides that it seems a very solid deck.

The antagonism between Aerovore and gravity well is a little bit unfortunate but i have no idea to avoid it. However i may suggest you to remove brainstorm for spell book as brainstorm seems to not really fit in this control deck.

Still, it is obviously a great deck ! Congratulations !

Re: Competitive timer decks

ispodean
Thanks man!

I've been pestering you and Quin for a while now during games with deck advice so it's great to hear you enjoy it.

It's also weak against fire spell based decks. They just mince the fragile minions.

The grav well / aerovore combo is a little frustrating but worth it. Aerovores are so underrated for disrupting the opponents strategy. Strangle vines, prism etc are halfed by just 1 aerovore.

Aquamancers would wreck the chronomancers if they have elixir or energize but the toxipedes or darts can hopefully add a timer to them.

I'm off for more experimenting.  Hmmmmmm.

Cheers!
art

Re: Competitive timer decks

art
It's a wonderful deck, chrono is fragile but the combo is hard to break through once it's set.

Re: Competitive timer decks

Feuerkäwer
Greetings

First of all i agree with aurore that it is obviously a great deck ! Thanks for sharing it.
For myself i will made few changes because i don't like the usage of gravity well - they always suffer my hand at wrong time wrong place :)

Let us known how this deck works for you during pvp matches and what kind of deck you like to have as testing opponent

Take Care !

Re: Competitive timer decks

Quintivarium
I know from experience against the deck that it is very strong.  Every card works to an important purpose, and they work well together.

In a sense, that is also the deck's biggest weakness -- it needs every card.  Here is my breakdown.

Aerovore -- vital for timer control against magic immune creatures or if uncontinue is unavailable, and vital for defense if gravity well is unavailable.

Aeromancer -- critical to reliably call spells (especially uncontinue) in a timely manner.

Chronomancer -- the only way to inflict timers on certain devastating items (blood orb) or auras (law of the jungle).  Also the only card that gives you full control over which cards get timers inflicted.

Wild mage -- vital to reproduce uncontinue so enough copies are available to use it as needed.

Uncontinue -- key card to control enemy minions and maximally exploit timers

Brainstorm -- important to insure sufficient speed drawing critical cards, and to replenish hand after playing multiple cheap cards.

Gravity well -- useful to protect chronomancers and wild mages from enemy minions, as well as to reduce damage taken before combos are established.

Toxipede -- timer inflictor and great cheap blocker.

Savage kobo -- summoner of poison darts, and a minion to inflict damage.

Pack attack -- enemy clearance when uncontinue is inadequate or unavailable

Poison darts -- the only timer inflicting card that does not need to survive until it can act.

Because every card is so important, the deck has little flexibility for change, and is vulnerable to decks that can negate important cards.  I would expect the deck to struggle not only against aquamancer/energize strategies, but against any deck that can frequently produce mass damage (stormship, giant volta, fire rain, magic missile, etc.).  Moreover, as it is not particularly fast (low damage with most minions, and combos that require multiple cards), it is vulnerable to faster decks -- especially those not requiring long term minion survival.  Finally, it has no real defense against spells.  It will struggle against powerdive, magestorm, death is inevitable, etc.

Certainly the chronomancer's vulnerability is a significant concern.  The problem with destroyed chronomancers is not so much the loss of a timer inflictor -- the deck has plenty of those -- but that you cannot otherwise inflict a timer on existing enemies of choice.  For this reason, I think the deck could be strengthened by energize or overworld elixir -- something that can allow chronomancers to inflict a timer without needing to survive.  Both have drawbacks -- only energize allows playing chronomancer, inflicting a timer and playing uncontinue in the same turn, but it, as a spell, will reduce odds of aeromancers calling uncontinue, and can be used only once.  Overworld elixir is not only more expensive, but also consumes space in the back row which may be needed for darts, wells, and pack attack.  And a big problem with both is finding a card you can give up to make space in the deck.

I might also suggest spell net to give some defense against spells, but I suspect the card is so cost inefficient that the added defense is not worth the delay caused by playing it -- even assuming you could find space for it.  Alternatively, the magic immune time eater, although expensive and low health (not good with gravity well) might add a new dimension of threat.

Unlike Aurore, I would not recommend swapping brainstorm for spellbook. I think you need the hand replenishment and possibility of quickly drawing cards like chronomancer, wildmage and gravity well that brainstorm provides.  And I've always found spell book to be too much feast or famine.  You don't really need three copies of uncontinue all at once.

And while I certainly respect Feuerkawer as a great player, I think gravity well is a good addition to the deck.  Of your cards, only aerovore is really a mismatch for the well, and hopefully you won't need to use both at the same time.  In a sense, it is a backup for the shortcomings of uncontinue.

I would probably only consider minor changes to the deck; mostly tinkering with ratios of cards.  Do you really need 4 kobos, or do 3 suffice?  Do you need 4 aeromancers, or are three sufficient?  You might find a deck with three copies of some cards and a couple of energize spells and/or time eater gains a lot of flexibility with little impact on the decks effectiveness when the flexibility is unnecessary.

Re: Competitive timer decks

ispodean
 Thanks for the feedback guys!

Lots of to think about now.

I'll mess around with the ratios and see what comes up.

I do like the idea of adding energize to allow timers to be add to those critical cards - burning world etc that would otherwise be unachievable.

Damn I love this game!

Cheers