Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Valentino
Guys for the ones that still don't know it, I am supposed to be a professional and the software I used for my last job is Excel/VBA.

I already developed a tool which:
a) contains a card list
b) simulates draws
c) develops statistics about the first cards drawn

do you have any idea about how to make it more useful?
I can upgrade this tool according to our brainstorming and to my availability time

@Goblins, can we publish the Excel tool on this site?

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Quintivarium
I have been interested lately in "random" decks which allow me to experience cards I normally wouldn't choose, new combinations, and general formulae: e.g. what percentage minions does a deck need, what percentage of each power point value card, etc.  I have been doing this by rolling dice to pick factions, then choose cards.  For example, if I want a deck with 80% minions and 20% spells auras or items, I roll an eight sided die to choose faction (on an 8 I re-roll), then I roll a six sided die to choose secondary faction (six factions remain after primary).  Then I count how many minions are available in my two factions (for example, if my factions are fire and forest, fire has 17 minions, forest has 20 for a total of 37).  I devise a die roll to give each minion an equal chance of being selected.  (Details of hoe I do this are not important.), and I roll, one at a time, for the minions.  I repeat for auras, spells, and items.  Of course, this process is not truly random -- I am likely to use up my quota of forest units on minions, and have no forest auras, spells or items.  So I mix the order I roll for minions, interspersing rolls for auras, etc.  This gets even more complex if I add constraints on card values.

I suspect that choosing a truly random deck subject to the constraints I would like to see is a fairly tricky problem involving discrete programming (with which I am not well versed), but even a pseudo random process like I use would be far more efficient if computerized.  It might still be complex to actually program, and may not be a priority however.

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Valentino
I can do that but you need to define all conditions

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

You can attach files directly into this thread for example, sounds like that would be a good place to start?

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Valentino
Spellcraft.xlsm

Here is the file.

Please provide your feedbacks

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Molotch
I've opened various files containing all your hard programming work.
I'm pretty sure that if I have to start asking questions about it all and whether I'm supposed to be able to "use" it, it already means I'm way out of my depth! :)

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Valentino
Let me try to help you for what I can.

a) You need to have MS Excel installed, perhaps version 2012 or better (it could be older)
b) You need to open the file
c) You need to activate the VBA option (it should ask if the file is safe. Yes, it is. I promise I did not code any trojan embedded)

If you have done all of the above then you should be ready to go.

The random deck generation is in the "random deck" tab. You set the values in the green cells and then click the button. It should generate, for what it is possible, a random deck according to your criteria. There is also another software embedded which is a deck opening analyzer. That's in another tab. You enter the deck card names and then click the button and simulates 100 openings with the statistics.

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Molotch
Got it now, sorry.

Yep, as I thought, I'm rather frightened by it all!

Your work and dedication however, must be applauded. Quinti' must be extremely impressed with this.

Sorry I can't be of any real help on the Feedback front, other that to say again that this is (presumably:)) amazing stuff.

I'm gonna see if I can use it, although I feel sure I'm gonna break it!.

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

Valentino
A little bit more about me:
I am an excel/VBA wizard as side skill of my profession. My previous job as was senior analyst for a well known multinational and I have handled a portfolio of 1500 MM€ projects in term of data modelling. 98% Excel and 2% Power point work.

I am the kind of guy which develops an Excel model behind each strategy game he plays.

This is because I really like to see the maths behind the game. Quinti is a math teacher and has a more academic approach, while I am more into modelling.

(yep, I am an Engineer and an MBA. Did you think to challenge only 14yo teenagers in this game?)

I hope you find your way to run the Excel tool and provide a feedback which can be useful to improve it.

Re: Crunching Data - Excel support tool

PissPaulPete
Wow,
      I know this is old, but holy smoke is that awesome, thanks for the awesome tools Valentino.