DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

Spamo
This post was updated on .
I'm an Old Magic: The Gathering player checking in.  I haven't played that game in a while and I found Spellcraft and loved it.  Anyway, I applied some old Magic knowledge to building a deck that I'm surprised no one is playing...and I'm winning a lot with it.

--- Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps) updated 9/4/15 after more testing---

Minions (19):
2x Giant Constrictor
3x Jungle Troll
4x Savage Kobo
4x Savage Trappers
4x Triton Hunters
2x Triton Aquamancers

Spells (4):
2x Calm Seas
2x Back to the Depths

Items (3):
3x Jungle Juice

Traps (13):
4x Lost At Sea
4x Ambush
3x Backfire
3x Scavengers

-------------------

I came up with this deck after I kept playing against a bunch of combo decks or theme decks.  I saw very few control decks (except Aquamancer Decks...which are kind of combo decks) or aggro decks (except for maybe the random fire decks).  To fill this void, I wanted to make an aggro/control deck.

To do this, I borrowed an idea from Magic : The Gathering called Fish.

Fish was a deck named because it had ocean type cards and Merfolk.  It also generally referred to a handful of weak two-power minions who have some kind of bonus ability.  Those abilities usually involved killing your opponents' cards.  It also had some cards like Lost At Sea, stopping your opponent in their tracks.

No fancy combos.  Just a constant stream of one and two strength minions while controlling the opponent.

The way the deck wins is by slowing the opponent down.  It will never have a hard lock on an opponent like Aquamancers does.  Instead, Lost Scavengers goes for a quick kill.  I don't need to stop an opponent the whole game...I just need to slow an opponent for two or three turns.  All the while, I beat my enemy with a bunch of weaklings.

And beauty of the deck is that it can be played multiple ways.  One of my favorite tricks is a first turn Lost At Sea -> Scavengers.  When your opponent plays a minion that is countered by Lost At Sea, it immediately triggers Scavengers.  It gives you five one-strength minions ready to attack and a probably clear path to do it.  Five free damage right off the bat!

You can also go the slow route.  Use Savage Kobo and Triton Hunters to continuously play Lost At Sea until suddenly it's too late for your opponent.  And I didn't even mention the rest of the utility minions!  If things get really slow...minions clogging your way on every path...play Backfire.  It will definitely speed up your opponent's game clock.

-----------------------

Let me know what you think.  I'm still tweaking.

Re: DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

MadAdaM
Many people are (or at least were) used to play the following version:

Minions (16):
0x Giant Constrictor
0x Jungle Troll
0x Mantid
4x Savage Kobo
4x Savage Trappers
4x Triton Hunters
4x Triton Aquamancers

Auras (0):
0x Mortal Wound

Items (0):
0x Jungle Juice
0x Shimmerpearl

Traps (20):
4x Lost At Sea
0x Ambush
4x Backfire
0x Scavengers
4x Essence Jar
4x Smash
4x Snake Pit

Spells (4):
4x Sink

Re: DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

Aurore Aileblanche
I haven't seen a blue jungle deck yet. I do not play jungle myself, but it is a very nice idea, i may give it a try once i have the cards !

Re: DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

Spamo
MadAdam: I used to have more traps like Snake Pit and Essence Jar and Smash but I find them inferior to Ambush and Scavengers.  Why would I want to weaken opponent minions when I can just kill them outright instead?...using Jungle Troll and Giant Constrictor and Savage Trappers.

I do agree with upping the Aquamancer totals though.

Maybe -3 Mantid, +1 Aquamancer, +2 Sirens?

AuroreAilblanche: If you are building from scratch, don't focus on the rares.  The deck centers around a core of commons and uncommons.  Start by getting 4x Savage Kobo, 4x Savage Trappers, 4x Triton Hunters, and 4x Lost At Sea.

Zero-cost traps are not there beacuse of their effects (not only at least) but mostly because they make Savage Trappers a killing machine.

Re: DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

Spamo
Updated post to reflect changes.

Wanted Scavengers more often.
Hated Mantid against any removal, it's gone.
Sirens to control big minions.
Calm Seas to stop bad match-ups and other combos.
Thinking about losing Shimmerpearl for Jungle Juice next.

Re: DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

Quintivarium
I may not be the most appropriate commenter here -- I've yet to find a trap deck that felt "right".  But I'm not at all fond of scavengers in a "trap deck".  First, they are too expensive to be a cost effective trigger for savage trappers.  Second, they really only have value when there are many empty lanes for the raptids to occupy.  This usually only occurs early in the game.  But to draw scavengers early with any consistency, one needs multiple copies -- which generally also means several copies at times when the card is almost useless.  But the third problem to me is the biggest: since raptids are both weak and immobile, they tend to get in the way more than they help.  For example, they keep trappers from shifting in front of certain enemies (e.g. archmages) a trapper could easily destroy.  And they provide "shelter" for enemy cards like aquamancers, faerie enchantresses, chronomancers, and blood vapors; preventing powerful minions from shifting into lanes until it is too late.  Of course, this may be an issue of play style -- I welcome other thoughts.

Re: DECK: Lost Scavengers (Jungle/Ocean Traps)

Spamo
While it would be nice to have smaller power traps, I've never had a problem with Scavengers at two power.  The effectiveness of Scavengers speaks for itself.  An opponent rarely has an answer for EVERY Raptid right away.  So even with diminishing returns, you can still swing for 3, 2, 1 damage from a Raptid as you keep playing minions in the other slots.  So your opponent just played two minions to kill two Raptids?  So, what?  Play some of your minions over there and swing for three damage over here.

The opening play of Scavengers -> Lost At Sea makes it worth it, too.