Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
Hello everyone,

I want to open this topic to help people to improve their deck. I will obviously try to do it as consistently as i can but i am currently passing my PhD degree so i ma not be able to answer to everyone. However i am not the only one that is able to do so. So i hope other experimented players will help people that want some advices about their deck.

I will start talking about a deck from another thread and posted by ledlevee. I hope that you will accept i give my thought about your deck Ledlevee. If not just tell me and i will remove my comments.

Mage Deck:
2 Sky Hydra
4 Archmage
2 Aeromancers
2 Wildmage
2 Magic Missile
2 Brainstorm
4 Energize
4 Spell Storm (a real killer in this deck)
2 Power Surge
4 Storm Core
4 Triton Aquamancers (sorry, Quintivarium lol)
2 Calm Seas
2 Fluidity
2 Sink
2 Sunken Treasure

So this deck is blue/white aggro-control deck. It kills its opponent using Spell Storm, Aeromancer and Archmage while controlling the board with Triton aquamancer + Energize and Archmage + cheap spells. I was lucky enough to have nearly all the cards needed to test the deck myself and i have to say that it is really enjoyable to play and pretty strong. As it is, it is already a competitive deck and you should win most of your games with it.

The most noticeable drawback is that it has quite few creatures and they are quite fragile. With no way to protect them at all, any removal heavy deck should be able to kill enough creatures to completely shutdown this deck.

So i will not be able to test them as i have not the Fluidity needed but here are my propositions :

- 2 Sky Hydra : It is not in the mage them, it is too slow and as you have no way to make it goes through your opponents creatures it will be chump blocked forever.
- 2 wildmage : It is way too slow for this deck
- 2 Magic Missile : I do not think you need them as you already have ways to get rid of smalls creatures and it is a little bit expensive for what it does.
- 2 Sink : It is somewhat situationnal, you may not be able to use it and against an opponent that plays such big creatures you should be able to outrace him anyway.
- 2 Sunken treasure : A little bit expensive and you have much better options.
- 2 Calm seas : Uncontinue is just a better option in this deck as it is more versatile and cheaper.
- 4 storm core : I am not completely sure about this one. It is really a strong card but you may not need it, as you already have a lot of tempo cards : brainstorm, fluidity, power surge.

+ 2 Astral armor : a must in this deck to protect your archmage from cheap removal cards from your opponent
+ 2 Aeromancers : quick, gives you a free spell and trigger Spell storm, why not 4 of them ?
+ 2 brainstorms : Yes  it deals three damages but you can "fluidify" them against an aggressive opponent and if it is not an aggressive opponent it will gives you a huge tempo advantage. Moreover it is a spell for your archmage
+ 2 power surge : another cheap spell for Archmage and a much needed mana boost to be able to play Astral armor on your archamge the turn it comes into play.
+ 2 Fluidity : it allows to surch for the card you need, especially your spell storm.
+ 2 Uncontinue : a lot of competitive decks are based on cards with timers.
+ 2 Mage tower : it will block the really big threats ang give you another spell. It also triggers Spell storm.
 + 2 back to the depth : i love the idea of replaying one of your aeromancer on another lane when your opponent has deploy a big blocker in front of him.

If you can test this new version of your deck i would be happy to hear how it performs :-)

Re: Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
Hello everyone

The second deck i want to comment and for which i want to suggest some modifications is a deck proposed by Quintivarium :

Fluid Mage
     3 sea dragons
     2 triton illusionist
     3 dancing jellyfish
     4 fluidity
     3 liquefy
     3 sink
     2 essence drift
     4 sunken treasure
     4 sky hydra
     4 arch mage
     3 aetherfish
     3 overload
     2 astral armour

First of all, i have to say that i have not the cards needed to test the deck but i think it is pretty strong as it is. I also want to add that as i said i will not propose improvement but modifications, the version i will show you may be less effective than this one and i will have no way to check it as i will not be able to play the new version either :-)

I really like this deck because it is the first time i see a good use of sky hydra. I have asked myself quite a few times how i could make a good use of this really strong card and i have to admit i did not thought about triton illusionist. When i saw that i wanted to push the concept as far as possible so here is my proposition :

- 3 sea dragons : i think hydra is a big enough threat, you do not need it as you will have a lot of things to do with your mana, you also do not want that your illusionis triggers on this.
- 2 essence drift : even if it is a completely free card, you still need an aura or an artifact on the board to make a good use of it and your deck do not have much of them...
- 4 sunken treasure : a good card but not a spell so you will prefer brainstorm
- 4 archmage : i am not huge fan of playing both archmage and sky hydra in the same deck as they are both pretty expansive and they do not need exactly the same spells.
- 3 aetherfish : as i will get rid of overload we can remove this one
- 3 overload : too expansvie and sky hydra already has the built in improvement.

+ 2 triton illusionnist : the purpose of this deck
+ 4 Aqualid hunter : you need some defense
+ 1 dancing jellyfsh : lets keep this cute little one to provide some block and give you the needed power to play an astral armor in the same turn as your hydra
+ 3 brainstorm : draws and a boost for sky hydra
+ 2 Tide caller : clear the way or puts one of his creature in front of your hydra
+ 4 Storm Core : such a powerfull card
+ 2 Back to the depth : play your hunter and your illusionnist again to dance until the end of the night :-)

I hope someone will tell me if it works !

As i said i am now going to concentrate on my work so i may not be as present in the next weeks. So during this time :

Have fun !

Re: Decks Manufacture

Quintivarium
I will try your suggestions, thanks.  And hope to encounter you again upon successful completion of your work.  Best wishes with your PhD.

Re: Decks Manufacture

ledlevee
Hey, Thanks for looking at my deck.  I've had some time to try your suggestions and I've found some I agree with and some I didn't, though I'll admit it may just be my style of play.  The suggestions I didn't agree with may work for you or someone else playing the deck.  So here are my comments and my final deck version:

- 2 Sky Hydra : I tried without the Sky Hydras and felt the deck's punch was missing.  I often get Sky Hydras to 10 power with this deck and have no problem taking out chump blockers with the Aquamancers most of the time.
- 2 wildmage : I took them out and found that you're right.  I hardly ever used them.  When I did, they were fun, but there were better options.
- 2 Magic Missile : I took the Magic Missiles out, but like the Sky Hydras, I felt there was something missing, so I put them back in and found I tend to clear boards faster with them.
- 2 Sink : I find that I use sinks often.  They help the Archmages take out big creatures faster by weakening them so the Archmages can Energize and take them out with an attack.
- 2 Sunken treasure : You're right.  I never liked too many Brainstorms because of the damage, but usually I kill my opponent before that's a factor.  I did play one game where my playing two Brainstorms ended up doing me in eventually, but I probably would have lost that game anyway.
- 2 Calm seas : I left them in because there's no other way for this deck to take out auras.  There are several auras such as Law of the Jungle, Pack Attack, and Burning World that pretty much destroy this deck so I feel these are a necessity.
- 4 storm core : I took out the Storm Cores and found you to be right.  They weren't necessary, and they aren't a spell, so they take away from the deck theme.

+ 2 Astral armor : Believe it or not, I found this hurt the deck more than it helped it.  I hated not being able to play Energize on my Archmages and other cards.  Energize is too awesome in this deck for me to hamstring it.
+ 2 Aeromancers : I put them in for the Wildmages and I feel like their speed was a definite improvement and now I still have mancers who help the Spell Storm.
+ 2 brainstorms : These do work better in this deck than Sunken Treasure, so they stayed.
+ 2 power surge : I put this in while taking out the Storm Cores.  It was definitely a good addition since it's also a spell.
+ 2 Fluidity : I added these and found that four are awesome in this deck.
+ 2 Uncontinue : I found that this ended up being useless a lot of the time without Chronomancer.  I have another version of this deck with Chronomancers and Uncontinues, but this version tends to be more successful.  They work better in my timer deck.
+ 2 Mage tower : I don't like barriers in this deck since they can't attack.  I have plenty of card draw, too, so I didn't really need the extra.  I definitely prefer the Sky Hydras to the Mage Towers.
 + 2 back to the depth : This was fun, but I just felt like there were better options I didn't want to take out for it.

So in summary, your suggestions definitely helped.  I believe the ones I used improved this deck from one that wins most of the time to one that wins almost all of the time.  There are still some decks that give me trouble, and a bad opening hand can do this deck in against faster decks.  However, your suggestions were much appreciated and you've made my best deck even better.  Here's the new version I use:

2 Sky Hydra
4 Archmage
4 Aeromancers
2 Magic Missile
4 Brainstorm
4 Energize
4 Spell storm
4 Power Surge
4 Triton Aquamancers
2 Calm Seas
4 Fluidity
2 Sink

Thanks again!

Re: Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
Sorry, i did not saw your answer as i have not played for a while (lots of work :-( ). I am really happy that my suggestions helped you ! I may give it a try if i get missing cards one day. Thank you for your detailed answer, it also helps me to improve !

An quint, thank you very much. The manuscript is now finished ! I have the defense in one month and then it will be over...

Re: Decks Manufacture

Quintivarium
Your note reminds me that I never did respond to your suggestions on my fluid mage deck.  I tried some of them -- for instance I agree on changing sunken treasure to brainstorm, and on removing the essence drift cards.  But in making only partial changes, I encountered problems maintaining the minimum required cards in my primary faction.  Perhaps some of my changes were ill-considered, but I did not see significant improvement, although the deck did play quite differently.  To make a long story short, I have kind of lost interest in this deck.  It is not as much fun to play as it was at first, and I have since found a much, much better mage deck should I wish to go that route.

Oh, and congratulations on completing your dissertation.  Do you care to share it's title?

Re: Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
No problem ! I will try it myself once i get the cards and maybe you will share this mage deck with us one day :-)

My thesis title is : "Evaluation de l’impact des nanoparticules et de l’aluminium sur la fonction de reproduction masculine" It means : Impact evaluataion of nanoparticles and aluminum on male fertility.

Re: Decks Manufacture

Quintivarium
I don't suppose there is any real reason to keep the deck secret -- except that I don't particularly want to face it!

Mageblitz (air/ocean)
     4 archmage
     4 aeromancer
     2 chronomancer
     4 mage tower
     4 brainstorm
     4 spell storm
     4 power surge
     4 storm core
     2 aqualid mage
     4 sunken treasure
     4 shimmerpearl

The whole idea (which is not new) is to quickly deploy lots of mage cards, then win by massive mage storm damage.  It makes things a little easier if I can score a couple of hits along the way with aeromancers or archmages, but the spell storms are the killer.  If there is a unique element to my deck, it is the total focus on card draws and power generation -- there is nothing that does not work toward playing lots of strength 4 or 5 spell storm cards very quickly.

Re: Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
Thank you for sharing it, i will try it against AI to see how it works, but it seems really powerfull on paper already !

Re: Decks Manufacture

I imagine the impact of these nanoparticles is going to be far from positive!

Maybe post your conclusion if you'd be happy to share and if it isn't too horrific for a male audience?

Re: Decks Manufacture

cman961
Bugzzzzzz:
Deepwood Spider x4
Dragonfly x4
Ant Swarm x4
Rebirth
Evolve
Natural Order
Reemergence
Healing Sap
Life Berries
Wild Growth x4
Wild Strength
Barkskin x2
Gargantula x4
Toxipede x4
Ferocity x4
Rampage x3

The theme are the bugs of the game. I was just messing around, but it gets me some wins.
I like the single copy of the forest spells, it's like a tool box, and I use the tool I need when I need it. They've had their uses. Any support is welcomed. (Used to have Angry Hornets x2, and Mantid x2 instead of the Gargantula.)

Re: Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
Hello MikeGoblin,

No the conclusions are not that horrific.
In fact Nanoparticles seem to not be that toxic for male fertility, maybe it could have endocrine disruption effect but it still has to be proven.
For aluminium things seem to be more concerning. Aluminium could have direct toxicity on sperm production reducing their number in men semen. Unfortunately we still need to study this more to give definit conclusions.
That said, the thing that is the most toxic for man fertility right now is pesticides. So if you want to protect your fertility do not use them and eat food from organic farming :-)

Re: Decks Manufacture

Aurore Aileblanche
Thank you for sharing cman, i will defintly test it. However i have not played that much lately i will not be able to give appropriate advice to modify the deck, i hope someone else will help you for that :-)

Re: Decks Manufacture

Thanks for the update :)
Yeah I’m pretty good at getting organic veg (although less good at rinsing what I do get, I tend to eat them straight from the fridge eg mushrooms and endives!) and it’s what I eat most of the time :)

Aluminium seems negative anywhere in the body, I understand it has links to Alzheimers and other issues too. :/