Discard Deck

MattyB
Hey guys, new player here. I see it's quite a scarce place here but thought I'd ask anyway.
What's your thoughts on a deck primarily to outlast the opponent? I've played around with one recently and have had good success but would like to develop it further as there are obvious weaknesses.
Will list my current deck soon, but currently playing all underworld faction.

Re: Discard Deck

MattyB
Still waiting on some extra gold to buy some more boosters. But here's the current deck:
Primeval Ooze x2
Albino Slug x3
Brain Hand* x1
Dark Snatcher x1
Kobo Tunnelrunner x2
Cave Rats x1
Deeper Darkness x3
Spore Farm x4
Wall of stalagmite x4
Taken Under x2
Lost x2
Cave In x3
Mass Collapse x2
Pilfer* x3
Wrong Tunnel x2
Mesmer x2
Unnatural Gas x3

* cards I'm wanting 4 of for the deck.
Mainly it's a low energy hit/defend deck trying to use up opponents cards as fast as possible.

Re: Discard Deck

Tenadar
This post was updated on .
MattyB,

I've played your deck a couple of times, and come up with a few thoughts:

1. You have some nice combinations in this deck. Albino Cave Slugs - and Brain Hounds - really advance your card exhaustion strategy, especially when paired with lane-clearing cards (Lost, Taken Under, Cave-in). Deeper Darkness is one of the better barriers available. However, adding larger minions (the 4/4 common Underdark Worm comes to mind) could help dealing damage, blocking lanes, and standing up to your opponent's large minions.

2. Using underworld as a primary faction - a strong choice for this strategy - opens up the possibility of cards like Narrow Tunnels to keep a lane occupied, or Ominous Eggs (which work great with some of the low-cost minions already in the deck).

3. One faction that could really complement this deck is forest. It offers cards like Barkskin (common) for extra health, a ton of barriers (Living Maze for combat immunity, Wall of Webs, Tree of Life, Overgrown Forest) that could help blocking lanes, as well as anti-aura cards like Natural Order that your deck could use. Finally, one Forest card that works perfectly with your deck is Reemergence - it puts all minions in your discard pile back into your deck, giving you a sizeable advantage in terms of a card exhaustion strategy.

That said, other players with more experience than me no doubt have other tips or suggestions to add.

Hopefully this advice works out well,
Tenadar

Re: Discard Deck

Quintivarium
MattyB

Let me begin with some immediate suggestions, followed by longer term suggestions.  At first, it is very hard for a new player to compete with the decks of established players who have access to a much wider range of cards, and your deck is well conceived with potential to trip up decks designed to deal with other types of threats.  But my main advice is to diversify your strategy.  Trying to win solely by depleting an opponent's deck is, at least in my experience, not successful.  With present cards, it is simply too slow.  After the initial hand is dealt, 35 cards remain in player's decks.  With the best case scenario, you can force the loss of three enemy cards a turn (1 by the natural card draw and 2 by force -- say a cave slug hit)  that's at least 12 turns to win.  And I believe 2 cards a turn is more realistic.  While the length of games depends heavily upon the decks involved, I find probably 60% of games are over before the 12th turn, and probably 80% by the 18th turn.  Card depletion works best when an opponent is forced to assist the process by drawing cards himself.  And this requires sufficient threats to force quick response.

What I observe that probably works best with your deck is 1. the mixture of slugs with lane clearing cards, especially wrong tunnel and taken under, 2. The ability of primeval ooze to disable most minion power based threats, 3. the ability of deeper darkness to neutralize enemy minions of strength less than three, and to strongly delay minions of strength 3, and 4. the somewhat iffy chance that pilfer grabs something better than what the enemy can counter.

But the deck is very vulnerable to opponents focused upon strong minions (e.g. dragons), decks that repeatedly deal substantial damage (e.g. burning world, fire prism, law of the jungle, even voltas and aquamancers), decks that use rush tactics, and decks that can inflict considerable non-minion attack damage (e.g. blood orb or mage storm decks)

I think Tenadar's suggestion to add underdark worms is the biggest immediate  improvement you can make.  But I would also suggest adding burrowing under (good with both worms and slugs).  And add narrow tunnels.  Not only is this a good delay card, it is great with deeper darkness as it does not reduce the strength of barriers.  I have frequently seen enemy dragons dash themselves to death with this combo.  Finally, I suggest you consider underworld elixir.  This card not only can give your kobos an option other than dying in useless attacks, but it can give your cave slugs an out when wrong tunnel and taken under are unavailable.

In a little longer term, almost all decks are aided by a well selected second faction.  Tenadar's suggestion of forest is a good one. If you have access to jungle, it would also work well (razor weed, strangle vines).  And it is hard to go wrong with ocean (tide caller, dancing jellyfish, and numerous strength reducing minions.  In fact, the only truly evective "stall tactics" I've observed involve strength reduction.)

Eventually, unless you really have a knack for defensive tactics, I suggest migrating to a more aggressive approach.  While I, too, prefer defensive tactics, I have found they rarely work with any consistency.  The basic problem is one must counter many potential threats.  And it is impossible to design a deck that holds the necessary cards, let alone a deck that gives a reasonable chance of having a counter in hand when it is needed.  The quicker your offense wins a game, the less pressure a defense must endure.

Re: Discard Deck

MattyB
Wow thanks for the very detailed replies guys. I'll take this onboard and make a few changes.
Just unlocked jungle faction today so will play around with other factions and see what deck I can whip up.
My deck basis isn't purely to get opponent cards discarded/stolen, also heavily defense based. But i hear you about having attack options. Have only played a handful of pvp games, and I'm going off deck builds against the AI which isn't ideal, but is just easier to have instant games.