Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

SteveGoblin
If anyone would like to contribute some deck designs for the AI to use in future levels of the 1-player campaign, please feel free to do so here.

We are looking for decks for any current region, for a level above the current maximum.

As for normal decks, AI decks must have 40 cards in total, including no more than 16 of a second faction.
They should loosely follow the general description of a region (e.g. fish in Bloodfire Peaks might be odd!)

However, they are allowed to use Power Cards, and can have more than 4 copies of any card.

Cheers

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

Quintivarium
This is a wonderful invitation.  I hope several players will take advantage. of it.  I do have a few assumptions I would like verified.  (And there are a couple outright questions.)

1.  I assume there is no way to conveniently test decks that use power cards or more than 4 copies of a single card.

2.  I assume it is critical that a deck can be reasonably defeated.  This might require special deck designs, but should not rely on outrageous luck.

3.  Although a few AI decks use an occasional card from a third faction, from your description, I assume you want no such decks suggested.

4.  You did not limit the power cards.  A few AI decks use three, but most use 2 or fewer.  I assume it is best to use no more than 2 power cards, with preference for 1 or even none.

5.  Some time ago, I posted about cards unused by the AI.  And I learned one reason for this was that a handful of cards were so tricky to use well that is was felt better to avoid these cards than to allow the AI to make a mess of them.  These cards included ravager, catastrophe, and probably a couple of others.  I assume we should use our judgment in avoiding such cards.

6.  Can unlockable cards be used?  None presently are used by AI decks, but the unlockables came out later than the last campaign expansion.

7.  I assume the goals for submitted decks are the following -- from highest to lowest priority:
     A.  Usability by the AI
     B.  Appropriate Challenge
     C.  Uniqueness
     D.  Appropriate Thematic Feel
Have I missed anything important?

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

SteveGoblin
Excellent questions.

1.  I assume there is no way to conveniently test decks that use power cards or more than 4 copies of a single card.

Correct. No way. Sorry!

2.  I assume it is critical that a deck can be reasonably defeated.  This might require special deck designs, but should not rely on outrageous luck.

Yes it is supposed to be a challenge, not a total stampede of doom.  For example, I know I can put in 4 x Ancient Curses and the AI wins instantly.

3.  Although a few AI decks use an occasional card from a third faction, from your description, I assume you want no such decks suggested.
Just 1 or 2, yes. A major and a minor.

4.  You did not limit the power cards.  A few AI decks use three, but most use 2 or fewer.  I assume it is best to use no more than 2 power cards, with preference for 1 or even none.

Some are more powerful than others, so it's open to judgement. The key thing is that it fits in with the deck's build, and isn't there just to make it super strength.

5.  Some time ago, I posted about cards unused by the AI.  And I learned one reason for this was that a handful of cards were so tricky to use well that is was felt better to avoid these cards than to allow the AI to make a mess of them.  These cards included ravager, catastrophe, and probably a couple of others.  I assume we should use our judgment in avoiding such cards.

The AI can actually use them all, but some will never be used as effectively as a human, so they tend not to get featured in AI Decks.  But the AI can steal them off players so it needs a basic knowledge of their purpose. So don't worry about this, use whatever you like.

6.  Can unlockable cards be used?  None presently are used by AI decks, but the unlockables came out later than the last campaign expansion.

No, just normal cards.

7.  I assume the goals for submitted decks are the following -- from highest to lowest priority:
     A.  Usability by the AI
     B.  Appropriate Challenge
     C.  Uniqueness
     D.  Appropriate Thematic Feel

I would forget your A, making it:

     A.  Appropriate Challenge
     B.  Uniqueness
     C.  Appropriate Thematic Feel

Have I missed anything important?
Quint, you never miss anything important.

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

Quintivarium wrote
This is a wonderful invitation.  I hope several players will take advantage. of it.  I do have a few assumptions I would like verified.  (And there are a couple outright questions.)
1.  I assume there is no way to conveniently test decks that use power cards or more than 4 copies of a single card.
If you volunteer as a Beta tester too, we'll set you up so you can test your decks as much as you like

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

Quintivarium
I would be honored to Beta Test.  Tell me how to sign up, or contact me at chrisat@brescia.edu

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

Thanks!

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

I wanted to encourage other players to try creating AI decks for the goblins.  So far I have created 5 decks and am having a blast!  The neat thing about designing AI decks is how one can do interesting things (either thematically or in terms of player puzzles) that are not possible in player decks.  Power cards not only open interesting combo possibilities, but they balance decks that might not be competitive otherwise.  For instance, I have one deck that would have failed because it had far too many cost 3 cards.  Strange energy not only fixed the problem, but fit the deck theme beautifully.  And the option to include more than 4 copies of cards also opens neat possibilities.

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

oneil_jo
Here is deck I think could be a tough one to beat. I play a similar deck ocean-air with energize and overworld elexhir and minions with powerful abilities (T. Aqua anger and T. Assassin) to use them multiple times (also good with minions with elusive). The version here would use Portal as a special card (which I think is one of the most powerful special cards). You could also add Druids's touch (? Not sure of the exact name, special card giving 1 extra Health) to. Could also be modified to add some Acient Ghost which can be very powerful with bodyswap.

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

oneil_jo
Another try... Of course it would need to be tested. Sometimes I think of a deck thinking it would work well but it turns out it sucks... I've always wanted to find a good deck with Blood Vapor but never found a good way to use it as effectively as it could be. With special card Vitality, it could. I also like the combo Goger - Living Essence

2 vitality special cards
8 Living Essence
4 Wild Growth
4 Bark Skin
4 Heart of the forest
4 Life force
8 Blood Vapor
4 Goger
4 Cuff

Could be easily tweaked to either gain more life for Blood Vapor or gain more health for Goger...

Re: Do you think you can design a strong deck for the AI to use?

SteveGoblin
Interesting, and thanks. I will give them a think over!