ELO system?

Jambo(75)
Hi there,

Have you guys ever considered an ELO system instead of the current rating system?  The current system doesn't allow you to lose rank, does it? And it's kind of the more you play the higher your rank will be, correct?

Re: ELO system?

markturnergoblin
unfortuantly  gamecentre does not allow yoour score to go lower so we are stuck with that for now.
We would need to buy our own server to have our own ranking system. We would like to one day but the cost of a server is currently more than our profit ,of which all is going back into the game.

Re: ELO system?

Art
Yes, rank doesn't mean a lot in this game.  I don't particularly enjoy a higher rank but the ups and downs within a match.  Usually if I was so so so so close to finish off those few life points or overcame opponents' dominance would be a great game for me to enjoy.

Re: ELO system?

Rank doesn't go down but only climbs with wins.
So someone with a high rank has won a lot of games.

Also note that your rank increases more when you beat players with a higher rank than yourself, and the higher the rank difference the greater the increase.

So although it isn't ideal, Rank is still an indicator of a players past performance - even if it does consist entirely of them beating their little brother tens of thousands of times :)

Re: ELO system?

Actually, rank means a lot to me, but for different reasons:

- I couldn't care less about being #12 right now. What I do care about is that 5 people in the top 10 are people I play regularly, they have played a lot and have lots of experience to offer. When they talk, I listen!

- I play many others regularly as well and seeing their rank increase, let's say above 30, I know they're going to be fun to play, that they enjoy the game enough to be creative in deck-making. That's one of the only factors that count for me in Spellcraft: seeing new strategies and being kept on my toes by new ideas; along with general respect and a good dose of humour.

- Ranks below 10 tells me this is a newcomer, so they deserve a freebie. I'll usually surrender 2 to 3 games to a newbie, so the person can feel welcome and non-threatened by higher ranked players. I might get my ass whooped and I find it even better!

So that's that. Even if you get motivated by being #1, I would like that about you, 'cause then it means you're going to play a lot and fall in category number 1 above!

So that's the end of my smiley-ended thoughts about the ranking system that GC offers for free to our community of players. Changing it would actually be a detriment to me, according to the perspective described above.

.Confused.

PS, for the newbies: If you're going to play often, befriend me & my GC friends, post your name in the stickied threads at the top of the forums and join the Glassboard app to shout out your presence to the community. Don't be afraid, you have nothing to lose!

Re: ELO system?

Bulldog86
I'm very familiar with Elo. Such as fide and uscf in chess. It is a great idea but according to goblins too expensive to implicate at the moment. The downside to this though is that I play alot of experimental deck ideas and play weaker decks against newbies so as not to deter them from playing the game. But if I was to rank at the moment, excluding myself. #1 Bourke Street #2 Orange #3 Mark Turner #4 Joseph Patanio #5 Confused #6 Roberto Naverette and gets a little bit more hazy from there down, mostly because I play these players most often.

Re: ELO system?

The main issue here is that we will always (ideally) use the Game Center Leaderboards.
And at the moment an individual Leaderboard Score cannot decrease.

However there is a new concept with iOS 7 of Leaderboard Sets - and that might allow a combination of scores to enable something like ELO or FIDE systems, I need to review the options there.

Re: ELO system?

BourkeStreet
MikeGoblin wrote
The main issue here is that we will always (ideally) use the Game Center Leaderboards.
And at the moment an individual Leaderboard Score cannot decrease.

However there is a new concept with iOS 7 of Leaderboard Sets - and that might allow a combination of scores to enable something like ELO or FIDE systems, I need to review the options there.
This has been at the back of my mind for a long time now. I'm bumping this thread because apple has released iOS8.

Re: ELO system?

BourkeStreet
.Confused. wrote
[...]

Big shift in opinion on ranking systems.