Future pondering

SteveGoblin
The next update will see 2 new cards per faction, unlocked for winning a certain number of games.

After that its Ice, whose focus is on Auras, including some major 5-point auras.

After that there is a choice, and we thought we would ask you all:

(1) Desert - focus on Items, some of them very powerful. Also a secondary theme of gaining life
(2) Mountain - focus is on Barriers, and I don't mean walls with just bigger health. The faction will also provide many other ways to strengthen defence.

There are an additional 3 factions designed, but are better for later.

Re: Future pondering

jamges
I vote Mountains! Thanks goblins for all the hard work, excellent job.

Re: Future pondering

Mountain

Ice will crowd the lower lane spaces, as did Jungle with traps. Before that, Air added mostly spells and short-lived lane occupation. So it'd be awesome to have more to choose from for the upper lane spaces afterwards. It might also slow down the game a bit, which would require more strategy.

Also:
What game developers ask their players about upcoming game development?
 The Goblins!
You guys are really cool.

Cheers,

Re: Future pondering

I would also vote mountain.  I think barriers are probably the most underutilized card type in the game, partly because, except for primeval flame and eggs, they don't really do anything but obstruct lanes.  It would be nice to see a bit more varieties, as well as other cards that interact with barriers in interesting ways.  Also, I think this maximizes short term variety; as Confused indicated, auras and items can be very similar in play; barriers add a new dimension.

Re: Future pondering

Valentino
I do not like barriers.

I think that we need more powerful items to fill the no-creature slots.

I vote for desert.

Re: Future pondering

BourkeStreet
I often use barriers but I cast my vote for items because there are quite a few barriers for now and just aren't that many items often used. I'm happy with either in the next update. So goblins, what's the current progress on the future update? :)

Re: Future pondering

Progress on the next update is good, but we don't give out schedule estimates because they are too unpredictable - we test a lot and change our minds about what works, and only publish when we're happy :)

Cool to see a lot of votes for Mountain, I didn't think it would be a popular one at first but it sounds like it could be :)

Re: Future pondering

.Confused.
Why swords?

I'm just throwing it out there that i never understood the thematic relation of the swords for deck selection and matches; and Spellcraft. The faction gems are very appropriate, the deck spellbooks are also. If we're mages casting spells and invoking minions, why would we choose to have a huge barbaric sword around?

Since you can't whine without offering solutions, here are a few: a magical effect (i.e. sparks, swirling smoke & the likes); a sorcerer's hand; a crystal ball; a pony (ok, maybe not a pony); arcane glyphs; a weird magical eye. All of these can be combined / duplicated for campaign vs PVP distinctions.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

.C.

Re: Future pondering

SteveGoblin
It just evolved from the 1 sword = 1 player match, 2 swords = 2 player match.

Could've used anything really, but swords seem to indicate "fight!"

For active decks, yes, I think something more magical and swirly would be better.

Re: Future pondering

BurntMax
I vote mountain. I was surprised to see barriers attacking because of a Power Card, which made me want to do the same. I did not realize until later that we cannot get power cards. It's interesting what other abilities and support cards can do to make barriers hurt you. Can't wait!
BurntMax