Gorger Deck

Tenadar
I recently put together a swamp/forest gorger/blood vapour deck, and was wondering if anyone might have tips on how to get it to work better:

4 Bone Dragon
4 Ancient Ghost
4 Gorger
4 Blood Vapour
4 Necromages
4 Betrayal - mainly to grow gorgers

4 Blessed Unicorn - to counter necromages and blood vapour health drain
3 Living Essence - to allow gorgers to keep health
3 Life Force
3 Life Berries
3 Barkskin - to get blood vapours and necromages established

Re: Gorger Deck

Quintivarium
Tenadar,

You do not report whether you have used the deck, what kind of success you have enjoyed (which is the ultimate measure of a deck), and whether you've encountered any deficiencies.  And I certainly do not detect any glaring weaknesses in it.

But I do think there are some subtle flaws that might be limiting its effectiveness.  Before I comment on possible issues with the deck, I have a few observations.  The deck is obviously oriented toward mighty minions -- those deployed, but especially those grown.  In general, a growth strategy tends to be slow but very solid.  I note initial minion strength is 4 cards of strength 4, 4 cards of strength 3, 11 of strength 2, and 4 of strength 1.  23 minions is a reasonable number, and the low starting strengths are somewhat offset by the potential to grow of creatures.  Ten of 13 non-minion cards are spells (the others are auras), and 6 of 13 nonminion cards buff minion health, 3 buff one's own life, and 4 do direct (but somewhat random) damage.  Finally, the power point costs of cards are:
cost 5 - 4 cards
cost 4 - 11 cards
cost 3 - 8 cards
cost 2 - 8 cards
cost 1 - 3 cards
cost 0 - 6 cards.

With these observations, I detect 3 problems:

First, the powerpoint utilization is likely to be less than ideal.  Although you should rarely have 2 left-over power points, I expect (with all the cost 4 cards in your deck) that you will frequently have 1 unsuable power left over at the end of your turn.  Of course, it is not left over power points that really matter, it is how well your 4 point plays will stand up against an opponent who uses all of his power.  Except for ancient ghosts, your cost 3 and 4 cards will tend to deteriorate fairly faster against higher cost enemies.  Because of this, I expect you will find the deck almost always lagging behind your opponent in tempo.  I bet you frequently wish, "if only I could play another card this turn...."

Second, it appears you have a slow deck that lacks counters to quick developing opponents.  How will you play against a ruby dragon, giant constrictor, darkling assassin, dragonfish, howling banshee, or any of several other dangerous minions?  How would you handle a blitz of quick units?  How do you stop nasty auras like law of the jungle, wild strength, flood, etc.?  What about items like lavapults or fire prisms?

Finally, I see a slight contradiction.  It feels like your deck is going too many directions at once.  Although the culprit cards (gorgers, vapours, dragons, and ghosts) do not directly work against each other, they all seem to beg for other cards that do not work harmoniously.  For instance, the gorgers call for tools to kill enemy units: the betrayal spell and the necromages.  But the necromages drain your life if used extensively, and vapours drain it continually.  Hence you need to devote what I think is too high a proportion of resources to renewing your life points.  And the gorgers also call for health renewal units – the cost 4 living essence, while the blood vapours call for cost 4 unicorns to restore life.  Then there are the cost four ghosts and you really have too many cost four units for an efficient deck.  And the ghosts (a nice threat themselves) which might beg for strength enhancement (wild strength or body swap) go largely unsupported.  And don’t forget that bone dragon’s special also comes in at cost 4.  Since the ghosts and dragons have some defensive value that the deck needs, I would either scrap the gorgers and the necromancers or the blood vapours and the life berries.  Then I would look for cards that diversify possible responses to your opponent – perhaps a living maze barrier (negates many nasty units), maybe something like deepwood fey (evasive, quick, and cost 1) + bodyswap, or maybe something like horrify (to send units away from gorgers or vapours until they buff up, or as a last resort, to weaken an enemy unit you can’t contain).

Re: Gorger Deck

Tenadar
Quintivarium,
Thank you for your excellent analysis.
The original deck tended to work quite well against the AI, and performed decently in PvP, though it was often slow, and weak against rush decks.

Because I built the deck primarily as a gorger deck, I decided to go with your last suggestion - scrapping the blood vapours and berries.
I took out the blood vapours, 1 betrayal, the unicorns, the berries, and the barkskins (which didn't really help the gorgers).
I added 3 zombie mobs, 2 bodyswaps, 4 deepwood ash, 3 deepwood fey, and 3 living mazes.
The zombie mobs, deepwood fey, and life forces tend to help with the last - unused- power point, and the deepwood fey helped the deck dealing with immunities, which it struggled against.

The deck seems to play better, and plays well even if the gorgers aren't drawn.
It works well against the AI so far, but I haven't yet been able to test it in PvP.