Help with discard deck

Benisato
Hi Evereyone,

Im a totally new player and i would like to ask You players about a discard deck. Which faction has these kind of cards, is it viable? So i will try to organize my purchasings for this faction. Ty for the help :)

Re: Help with discard deck

SteveGoblin

I have a deck with cards that make the opponent lose cards from hand or deck:

Underworld(purple): Albino Slug, Pilfer, Mind Transfer
Swamp (black): Screaming Skulls and Miasma

But since Spellcraft allows players to draw a card for 2 power, you cannot lock-down a player so easily, just by removing cards.

Re: Help with discard deck

Benisato
Ty for the answer. So this strategy is not a good one for deck building? I really liketo play "annoying' type of decks, like drain the opponents mana or make them discard. Im very happy if You can suggest some deck types here :)

Re: Help with discard deck

Jungle faction also has a couple of cards that support a discard theme: the gargantula and the cursed idol.  Underearth also has psychic vortex, darkling snatcher, tenticles from below, and darkling slaver.  Swamp has bodyswap.  The last four cards are more theft than discard, but they may still suit you.

I hate to offer too much more here because I have yet to find a truly competitive discard style deck; I think they are tricky.  On the otherhand, I had written off the possibility of a successful kobo/blood orb deck until I had one played on me that revealed the key insight I had missed.  And one of my favorite decks is based on jungle's pack attack -- a theme I took from Orange (a truly great player) after she wrote it off as unworkable.

I do recomment that, as a new player, unless you plan on spending a lot of real money on cards, you focus first on expansion packs and core general use cards (minions and general purpose supporting spells and auras) before turning attention to narrowly focused cards.  It can be easy to waste a lot of resources building gimmicky decks that end up not working, and then struggling to earn more gold without a highly effective deck.

Based upon your expressed style preference, I think Steve's suggestion of underearth and swamp factions are good choices for you, but build from giants, dragons, mesmer, and underdark worms into miasma, darkling slavers, mortality, and psychic vortex -- not the other way around.

Re: Help with discard deck

Valentino
Discard deck does not work very well at the moment.

You can opt between Swamp/Underworld or Swamp/Jungle.

There are some cards which go in combo with discards to have cool effects.

Re: Help with discard deck

Art
Out of my head I can think of:

Faerie enchantress + Accursed
And grave robber + mimesa + reborn

Not an easy combo though, but it's surprising.

Re: Help with discard deck

Valentino
About discard deck:

Horrify is the best way to cause damage to the opponent with Screaming skulls.

When opponent discards a creature with high health you play Post Mortem to gain extra life points. You will use somehow those life points to gain an advantage over the opponent (dark secrets for example).

If you choose underworld you can add Albino Cave slug to increase the chance to use Post Mortem
If you choose jungle you can add Gargantula for the same reason. However I do not like 4 PP cards at all...

Re: Help with discard deck

Art
Sorry, out of topic,

Hey Valentino, haven't play with u in a long time.  When do u usually have time?

Re: Help with discard deck

Valentino
I relocated to Vienna and am usually out to enjoy the nightlife.

However we can schedule something when I am back home.

contact me through email. I think you have it?

Re: Help with discard deck

I've tried the faerie enchantress / accursed combo in a couple of variations with pretty poor results.  The problem with the accursed card is twofold: it is too slow and it is insufficiently constraining in many cases.

To really have an impact, accursed must be played early, before an opponent's hand has naturally reduced in size.  But even if you are dealt two accursed in you initial hand, in the two turns required to play them, your opponent has been able to make 2 meaningful plays that you (with your measly 2 leftover power points) have trouble countering.  Moreover, your opponent will still get to choose the best remaining card to save.  And assuming you actually use your leftover power points to play another card, at the start of turn 3, your opponent will hold only 1 (probably good) card but will have 2 good minions in play.  You will only hold 3 cards, and, if they have survived (which is unlikely), have two mediocre minions in play.  Your hand can grow back (if you have time to grow it), but usually you will have lost the game before you catch up to your opponent's lead.  Finally, many decks play fine with very limited selection of cards to play, so even though you opponent only holds one card (and draws a second), he is not horribly hindered.

Miasma/grave robber/rebirth is a viable combo, but 1. it requires 3 cards simultaneously which happens rarely enough that you cannot count on the combo arising, and 2. it assumes having one of your opponent's minions on your side is more valuable than having a minion you selected to work with your other creatures.  If your intent is to be able to claim good, discarded enemy minions, you are probably better off using gargantula/rebirth as it is only a two card combo.  I've tried the gargantula/ rebirth combo -- it is a nice option to have, but it is rarely game shaping.

Re: Help with discard deck

SteveGoblin
I agree with Quint at this moment in time.

But, future factions will definitely make these kind of decks far more dangerous.