Hidden Combos

Valentino
In this Thread we describe all combos or unusual use of cards.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
My first contribution is about Aquallid.

A 2/1 minion which when enters game inverts strength and health of the opponent enemy.

Let's say you have an enemy minion 3/3. The poor aquallid has no chance.

If you use it in combo with my favourite aquamancer then:
1) Aquamancer turns the enemy to 3/2
2) Aquallid turns the enemy to 2/3 and can block it

If instead of aquamancer you have cards reducing the strength of the minion the effect is very positive when strength is set to zero: Health becomes zero and enemy dies.

This is a very effective removal, which is pretty unknown, which is available to Ocean.

Re: Hidden Combos

An often overlooked combo card is the tornado (air).  It is easy to see this card as merely a lane eliminator -- a card that makes a lane equally uninhabitable by both players, but there are actually several ways to use it to one's advantage.

First, it is a great place to play those relatively weak minions with the quick trait.  It is an always open lane and units played return to your hand to play again next turn.

Second, it is a way to repeatedly activate when played effects.  Play an aeromancer repeatedly and draw a spell every time.  This works with numerous other cards from darkling snatcher to ocean dragon.

Finally it is a great safe haven for cards like pulsar that move at the start of a turn -- they move before being blown back to your hand.

Note that, because of timing of unit removal, your opponent cannot use the tornado against you as effectively -- even if thet have the right cards.

Re: Hidden Combos

A couple of combos I have found recently:
  Ligthning golem(air minion) with  Ambush (Jungle trap) for 3 damage on the opposing and a follow through fast minion.
  Lost spellstone (jungle item) with Triton pearl divers (ocean minion)  for a free spell every turn.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Again on Aquamancers, my favourite card. A combo just discovered.

You don't need 4 aquamancers in play. 2 are enough.

Having a 1/1 aquamancer is not a good thing because it is vulnerable. However having a 1/6 inflated aquamancer is not good as well if you are playing against a fire deck because it is vulnerable to implode.

So guess what? For the big fans of my card combo academy I propose you to try to combine aquamancer with Cull. You'll get a 5 extra life points for an aquamancer which gets mature and you don't need anymore.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Well, most of you will think that Rage makes a combo only with Pyrohydra.

That's not exactly true. You have 2 more minions which are a good fit.

If you want to use Forest you can choose Ancient Oak.

If you want to use Ocean you can choose Ancient Turtle.

Why this? because the total sum of Strength and health is 11. You won't find anything like that with the exception of Ravager, which requires you to sacrifice other minions.

So those creatures are long lasting in an environment with Rage.

Which one should you choose?

Forest has Faerie Enchantress. That's a channeler of Rage itself.

Ocean has no channeler however with the turtle you have whirpool which for free removes the minion in the opposing path. Even aquamancer can survive in this environment given that it increases health - but you wil have to play rage only after aquamancer has caused its first damage.

Re: Hidden Combos

Quintivarium
But don't overlook forest's living essence which not only restores its own health, but also generate a health increase to adjacent creatures!  And forest has several other health generating cards.

Of course, ocean also has giant octopus which regenerates and giant urchan which easily grows in health as well.

Rage works well with both ocean and forest; it is a question of what else you want the deck to do -- a very nice question to have.

By the way, have you noticed the same combos are nice with burning world?

Re: Hidden Combos

I find I like to use lost in conjunction with miasma, the gargantuan special, or screaming skulls.  Lost sends a card back to my opponent's hand, the other card removes it from the hand.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Screaming skulls and Miasma make the opponent discard the highest cost card in their hands. This means that a high cost card is put on top of the discard pile.

If it's a minion, then it is suposed to be a minion with high health, which is a combo with Post Mortem.

Re: Hidden Combos

One of my favorite combo cards is the lowly aetherfish.  Because its special power removes timers if it triggers on a card that normally has no timer, it works very well overload, delusion, and festerplague.  Because it also has the quick trait, but costs nothing and has 0 strength, it is good in combo with bodyswap -- play it opposite a fearsome ruby dragon, cast bodyswap, then destroy the dragon when you attack later in the turn.

I really love the three card combo sky hydra / overload / aetherfish.  Play overload on the sky hydra (which also invokes hydra special), then use aetherfish to remove the timer.  Presto, your hydra has 5 strength.  Just be careful you have no other cards with timers or the aetherfish may affect the wrong one.

Re: Hidden Combos

Sea dragon is a wonderful card. It is not only a 4 strength minion but when it gets into game a spell goes back from your discard pile to your hand.

I remind you that drawing an extra card costs 2 pp therefore this minion, without this ability, would cost virtually only 3 pp.

If you have only 1 spell you will be sure that will be the spell drawn - this is limiting your deck options but also providing on the other side a solid strategy.

However the special ability of this minion is not valid until you have played a spell.

Aeromancer can channel that spell into your hand to make this happen quicker.

Be sure to choose spells which are cumulable or you'll end having useless duplicates in your hands!

Once you have channeled your cards there is the possibility to add in your deck cards which have special effects triggered by spells:
a) Sky Hydra gets inflated each time you cast a spell
b) Archmage causes 1 damage to opponent minion each time you cast a spell

It is also worth to mention that with a card such as rebirth you'll have an endless sea dragon in play.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
The same game as above with the spells can, thanks to the Jungle expansion, be done with traps.

Savage kobo is the trap channeler from the deck
Triton hunters is the trap channeler from the discard pile

Exactly as with the spells, I suggest to use traps which can be cumulable. It does not make much sense to have duplicate traps which are useless such as "lost at sea", which is wonderful...until you have only one of it.

In addition to this you have savage trappers which cause 1 damage to opponent each time a trap is cast. Now that you have channeled the traps you can also through this minion make him very dangerous

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Evolve is going to copy the special abilities of the opponent minion in front.

You may think that is useless but I'd use more the term "overwrite".

Therefore you may think that it is not wise to copy abilities when your minion already has a good ability. That's correct. It is good when it has no abilities or the abilities are triggered when they enter the game therefore they have no effect anymore.

But what if the abilities are penalities? If you use this card on moltem goblin that will stay a 4/2 minion. On Magmasphere that will stay a 3/6 minion. Dragonfish will not inflict you 1 damage per turn and you will not sacrifice a creature due to Ravager.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
I noticed this thread is having a discreet success. 100+ visits so far!
I am glad someone reads the things I write and find them useful.

Burning world is a card that fits in a deck with hard-to-kill minions.

The first minion you can think as combo is obviously Pyrohydra, which gets a bonus from being damaged.

The second minion is giant octopus which gets a regeneration.

But there are other minions you could not think about which fit in such environment.

If you want to stay with the fire minions you can think about Moltem golem: each turn decreases 1 strength but also increases of 1 health, which compensates the damage from burning world.

Then we have the high health minions: lavaworm ravagers and magmasphere.

It is also worth to mention that anything which has high health can fit in this environment (starting from ancient turtle and oak, eternal knight an undead giant). But there are other minions which you can consider: ravenous ghoul and giant urchin because their health increases as other minions die.

If on the other hand you want to add even more damage you can think to add berserk djinn as it will cause and extra damage when it dies.

Another alternative is deepspawn: you can have it increase +1/+1 per turn therefore his health is always kept at the same value.

Minions however are not the only option you have. In such environment you can also think about adding some time loops which restore totally health of your minion. It is very useful for minions which already have high health. Or you can choose rise again which gives you back a high cost minion with an extra health from the discard pile.

If you are ready to bet that your minions are lasting more than the ones of your opponent then you can add pack attack for extra damages, while razorsaur is good to give the final hit to a minion and procure 2 more damages to opponent.

Anything which causes extra damages to opponent minions and is stable can be considered very valuable. Even my beloved aquamancer, as it increases 1 health every damage done.

Re: Hidden Combos

Quintivarium
I used a burning world deck for a long time.  There are a couple of important combos I would like to add to your list.  Forest provides numerous minion health cards, any of which works well.  Living essense may be the best combo with burning world because it not only regenerates itself, but adjacent creatures as well.

However, I have abandoned burning world decks -- in part because I tired of them, but partly because I found my opponents usually not only had pyrohydras as well, but were likely to be luckier drawing theirs.  Thus, although not really a combo, I think cards like flamespike are very helpful to prevent opponents from benefiting more than you from the burning world.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Talking about forest I would like to mention a card which may seem useless at first sight:
Barskin.

What do you do of a +2 health on a minion?

It is not that straightforward that it is a protection of low-health minions.
What's the weakest point of aquamancer? it has only 1 health when goes on board. Through this combo you make aquamancer more difficult to be killed.

However forest is not the only faction having such delights:
Narrow tunnel from underworld makes something equivalent. It perfectly matches with any small minion being useful only for their special abilities.

Think for example about Angry hornets being protected for several turns through this method till they become deadly.

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Deepsea thing is a powerful creature which gets bigger each time damages the opponent.

Combos with ocean mist, tideshif, tide caller, lost, taken under and borrowing under seem to be pretty straightforward and self explainatory.

However the human factor plays a big role. And I have seen that used in a very good player.

This minion will give pressure to the opponent which in response will play, most likely, the strongest minion in his hand. That is a good moment to use the elusive ability of deepsea thing and then play darkling slavers!

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
I am going to discuss power point enhancers today. This applies to any faction.

You may think that pp enhancers are used to give you extra power points. That's wrong or at least not exactly true. They give you a boost in power points but on the overall you are wasting power points.

Why? Because you need to draw a card for it. Drawing an extra card costs you 2 power points therefore if you only have 1 pp when you use it the overall balance means that you are wasting 1 pp. The only exception can be air because you can use that item 3 times therefore your balance can be positive.

However given that I am discussing combos and unusual ways to use cards I'll stick to this topic.

Pp cards, as well as any other item can be an effective counter-measure for Lost in Sea.

That trap is highly effective against 5 pp minions.

If we analyze that mathematically in terms of pp balance, as it should be, I show you two scenarios to explain the above:

SCENARIO A
Opponent invests 3 pp to play Lost in sea
I play a 5 pp minion which is countered by lost in sea
The overall balance is that I lost 2 power points

SCENARIO B
Opponent invests 3 pp to play Lost in sea
I play a power enhancer card which costs 0 pp and is countered by Lost in sea
Then I play my 5 pp minion which is not countered because lost in sea already used its effect
The overall balance is that opponent lost 3 power points!

At last I want to state that power point enhancers can still be positive in the pp balance if you have the right card to draw them back or draw them for free (minions in Ocean and Underworld)

Re: Hidden Combos

Valentino
Lich touch is a card I ignored for a long while

"the highest cost minion of each player is removed and replaced with a 1/5 zombie mob"

Should I spend 4pp to harm my minion as well? no way!

Well, that's not necessary if the highest cost of your minions in play is immune to spells.

And it can even be an advantage if it is on its way to the discard pile: you convert it with an healthy zombie and then use cull to gain 5 life points!