Looking for a fun deck

Undead44
I'm looking for a fun deck to play against the AI if anyone has any suggestions.

I have worked up to level 60ish with a red/blue big creatures deck (big creatures and spells similar to bulldogs deck post on these forums). I've got a bunch of gold saved up and I'm looking for something to spend it on.

I've tried just a few basic constructions in the other elements (colors/terrains?). But it's hard getting a feel for a new deck with the AI getting massive advantages each game. So I'm looking for a deck list to build toward that would be fun to play and successful against the AI.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Undead

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Quintivarium
Sorry for the delay in answering your request -- I was hoping a stronger player might answer, but I think a lot of those are, for one reason or another, not very active on the forum right now.  So I'll give you my best suggestions.

If you have not seen them, I would begin by suggesting you check a couple of articles I wrote in the strategy essays thread of this forum.  In particular, the two decks given near the end of the essay "Making Quick Decks Work" are both fun and often effective (although there are power cards like aether against which they don't work -- but you at least have your successful deck to fall back on if you need to clear those levels).  There is also an ocean/swamp deck made entirely from common cards give in the article "Deck Building on a Budget".  It is not as strong, but it is very cheap to acquire.  All three of these decks have a very different flavor than the one you are playing.  Both these essays are presently near the end of the strategy essays thread.

Here is a deck that is a bit closer in that it relies on overpowering an opponent with stronger minions.  You will miss the removal spells and the pyrohydras, but there is compensation in the giant constrictors and stranglevines.

Jungle/Ocean
4 giant constrictors
4 hungry crocodiles
4 savage kobos
4 ferocity
4 stranglevines
4 snake pit
4 sea dragon
4 triton aquamancers
4 triton hunters
4 liquefy

The constrictors and stranglevines are most critical if you must acquire the deck incrementally.  Channel the stranglevines into lanes where you need them by clogging other lanes with snake pits.  The snake pits can also protect aquamancers from enemy minions.  Sea dragons and triton hunters recycle the ferocity and snake pits.  Use liquefy on units with troublesome specials -- or simply to remove elusive to allow the constrictor's special when stranglevines are not available.

As you do expand, whether you use any of these decks as guides or not, it is wise to expand into jungle, underearth, or swamp as opposed to air or forest.  Air is very tricky to use effectively, and forest tends to be slow and plodding -- not to most players taste.  Hope you find this useful.

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Valentino
Try Underworld/Ocean and make sure to include both the Assassin and the Aquamancer.

The rest of the cards depends on your concept of "fun".

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Heres a couple of decks. The first is for good for taking on decks with large minions.Psychic vortexs to lock down players and overun them with smaller minions.

Fire/Underworld

4 magmashpere
4 ruby hatchling
4 lava elementals
2 pryomancers
3 firebirds
4 primal flames
3 detonations
3 implodes
4 living bombs
4 captured falmes

2 primeval oozes
3 psychic vortex

This one too targets  larger minons,again overwelming them with small minions and grav wells to take out the big guys.

Underworld/Air

4 darkling assassin
4 primeval ooze
4 albino slug
2 dark fey
1 tenticle from below
4 taken under
3 lost
4 cavein

1 pulser
2 spell leech
3 magic missles
4 grav wells
4 storm cores

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Undead44
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to give jungle a try and then probably underworld. I appreciate the feedback!

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Undead44
Great success with the Jungle/Ocean deck.  I really like how it plays with good sized creatures and debuffs on enemy creatures.  I do really miss the pyrohydra against aether and dragon blood enemy powers.

Great suggestion.

I'm looking at the Underworld/Fire deck next.  Need to build up more gold for the underworld cards though.

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Quintivarium
I think the power cards (and bending of deck construction rules) were designed with at least three purposes in mind:
1.  To help balance an AI, which, although very good, is not up to human standards
2.  To encourage players use of different decks and strategies
and
3.  In some cases, to provide puzzlers requiring creative, unconventional approaches.

You are observing some of purpose 2.  There is nothing like a pyrohydra vs. aether, dragon blood, vampirie touch, or even medusa touch.  Conversely, while I have not tried a pyrohydra deck quite like yours, I find the ocean/jungle deck better than my pyrohydra decks against wolfpack, constrictor, bodyswap, or other pyrohydra decks.  And I don't like either vs. unsung, mass delusion, or dark vortex power cards.  I very much doubt there is an ultimate deck.

Re: Looking for a fun deck

SteveGoblin
Quint, as always, is spot on. They are the precise reasons Power Cards were introduced.

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Valentino
I think there is no ultimate deck, but some decks can be pretty flexible.

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Undead44

I agree with the purpose of the power cards. But unfortunately I find they make it hard to try out new decks. You really have to farm on an established deck for a while before you can buy all the rates needed to compete with the power card decks.

Now that I'm level 95 I find that the only real amusement is trying new deck and it's really difficult to do without committing a huge amount of resources. I also think it would be fun to give players access to power cards so we could build some of the decks that we play against. Some of them have really fun mechanics that just don't work without the power cards.

Thanks again for the deck suggestions. Going to unlock underworld next and see what I can build.

Re: Looking for a fun deck

Quintivarium
There are other challenges -- and not all require a lot of resources.  Try these:

1.  Although it is a little difficult at times to find an opponent, player vs. player is very different than playing against the AI.  And there are no power cards in PVP.
2.  If you have not yet gained all the single player achievements, try to get them.  Some are easy, but others are very tricky.
3.  Try to design an all common card deck that is competative.  I have three or four so it is possible (and cheap -- even if you don't own the cards.