Mindless Decks?

12

Re: Mindless Decks?

Aurore Aileblanche
Hey Quint,

I am going to open a new thread to comment your other decks as well as the one from ledlevee as it is a little bit of topic in this one (I really love your "Fluid mage" deck). But i will make some comments on your "Underwhelm" deck here because i think they applies to this topic.

This deck is indeed a purely reactive deck. And what just calls to my mind is that it completely lacks a clear path to victory. Your only ways to path through your opponent creatures are triton assassin and water elemental, and both of them are incredibly slow. When i was playing Magic we used to say about these kind of deck that "ils tuent à l'ennui". I let you translate ;-)

As it will takes hours to kill your opponent with this deck you have to be prepared to a lot of different threats as your opponent will have plenty of time to accomplish his strategy. However, this deck is only prepared to fight :
- creatures that are fighting. For that i would say it is overprepared.
- creatures with special ability (4 liquefy). However, as you do not have any kind of draw you have to be lucky enough to have the answer when they lay down their creature.

This deck is not prepared to fight :
- any kind of decks that rely on creature with special ability and spell immunity : astral armor kills you
- any kind of deck that rely on aura : tornado, burning world...
- any kind of deck that rely on artifact : fire prism, blood orb, overworld elixir...
- any kind of deck that has removal and a better tempo : quick decks, jungle/fire ...

When your deck has no way to kill your opponent you have to be prepared against everything. That usually implies a lot of drawing ability to compensate the fact that some cards may be ineffective in this specific match-up.

I do not want to overcriticize your deck but i bet that this deck would loose against most competitive decks. This is not because these comptetitive decks are mindless or because they play overpowered cards, it is just because this one is not strong enough.

Still, i understand that this deck may be fun to play in a casual environment but you should know that you may loose in a competitive one.

Re: Mindless Decks?

Ice will have quite a lot of defensive cards , they have some auras that can slow down your opponent in various ways. Also one of  Ice's main traits is strength loss.
 Mountain which is after that is the most defensive of all the factions, it has many cards that protect you and your forces. It has many good walls and ways to boost them, some heavy duty protection auras and items and much more. They also have at least one new type of immunity, protection from Auras being one of them.

Re: Mindless Decks?

jackson992
Thx I have been buying boosters one faction at a time so I am slowly getting more copies of cards. Just started playing this week

Re: Mindless Decks?

ledlevee
I can't wait for Ice to come out.  I may have to change up my strength sapper deck above with all the cards that subtract creature strength you've posted so far.  Or maybe I'll make another deck with Swamp and Ice instead of Swamp and Jungle, or maybe Jungle and Ice.  Anyway, I can't wait!

Re: Mindless Decks?

Aurore,

I appreciate your thoughtful feedback on my deck.  At the risk of sounding defensive, I do want to respond to a few comments.

The primary path to victory is by my minions overpowering opposing minions.  While this is admittedly slow, you underestimate the impact of sink, horrify, as well as creature movement with elusive and back to the depths.  Plus, there are two secondary approaches to winning:  I often inflict substantial damage with an unopposed aqualid hunter or water elemental because my opponent has to devote too many resources to the more dangerous vampires and assassins, and deck depletion occurs maybe 10% of the time (I win the vast majority of these games).

I also believe you have exaggerated the cases this deck is unprepared to handle.  There are three primary ways of dealing with threats: delaying/preventing them, counteracting them, or enduring/bypassing them.  And this deck is very good at enduring a lot of threats that are devastating to other decks.  I may not be able to easily kill certain magic immunie creatures, but as you may have observed, 0 strength archmages (or pyrosaurs, or assassins, or trolls, or deepsea things, etc.) are not terribly dangerous.  I have beaten prism decks by reducing my opponents minions to 0 strength.  I couldn't keep forces on the board, but my opponent couldn't hurt me with his!

There definitely are weaknesses -- a couple of 0 strength voltas still dominate the board.  Well constructed aura based decks are hard to handle, and with sink and back to the depths in my deck, deck depletion is not always favorable.  Many barriers are problematic as my forces' powers do not apply and my minions are not strong enough to overpower them.  Extremely quick decks are challenging, as are heavy removal decks.  And despite the apparent similarities of my forces, the draw can make a big difference -- I do much better when my hand contains good variety, and when I can get at least one water elemental in play early.

But many of the most problematic opposing decks are problems for almost every deck.  This deck will never be a primary, competitive deck.  But I find it far more interesting than most, if not all, of the more competitive decks I have seen or played.  Of course, fun is a matter of taste, and I think we have already established that our tastes are very different.

Re: Mindless Decks?

Aurore Aileblanche
Hi Quint !

You are true, even if i had one of the worst draws I have ever had with the deck i was playing (4 Archmage in the last 10 cards in a deck that is constructed around them is not something easy to handle), I have to admit that this deck was much stronger that i first belived it was.

And one other thing is that i really enjoyed to see how the deck was playing. I definetly think now it is more fun to play than it looks like at first side ! I think I could enjoy playing such a deck :-)

You may also be right on another point. Winning is not everything. Having fun and interacting with an interesting community may be more important ;-)
12