No power cards

Valentino
When I build a new deck I test it in 1 player mode first - before trying against other players. I think most of players do the same.

Frankly I find power cards not allowing me to have an objective point of view of the deck performance.

Can you add a modality without power cards?

I suggest a modality in which AI can draw any card at his choice to win. This would be very cool for deck building!

Re: No power cards

markturnergoblin
As the AI is not as good as an experianced player, the power cards can make it more challenging.For example an Empower in play may bring it up to taking on a good human opponent. Perhaps a good test for any deck. There will be a way of selecting what deck you wish to face in a future update.

Re: No power cards

Quintivarium
I must admit to many of the same frustrations Valentino expressed regarding power cards.  While I do enjoy the challenge (and variety) they add to the AI, (and I do appreciate all the power cards), I also find they often mess up testing new decks.  Some power cards (fortress, ancient curse, master crafter) are rarely a problem; some (empower, mausoleum, vitality, dragon blood) depend on what I'm testing, others (mass delusion, unsung, medusa touch) almost always render the test meaningless.  The AI deck building cheats (more than 4 of a given card, more than 2 factions) can also mess up a test.  Although these are more rarely problems, I am less able to recognize them (and hence to surrender wasting little time).

A mode where I can choose the opposing deck is a perfect solution to both issues as I can then simply note the decks that are not good for testing.

But I have a related request for consideration.  I would love to see a "hot seat" mode.  That is a mode where two players can play on the same device and, if necessary, under the same account.  Ideally, upon completion of player one's turn, there would be a screen saying something like "ready for player 2".  The device could then be passed to player two, who clicks a ready button to see his cards and to replay player 1's turn.  Then player 2 plays his turn as normal.  When player 2 finishes, the same screen allows him to pass the device back to player 1.   There would probably have to be no gold award in this mode to prevent abuse.

Such a mode would enable 3 things I would love to be able to do.  Most obviously, it allows two players to play each other on the same device.  But it also allows more comprehensive testing of decks than just playing against the AI.  For instance, I could play myself to test whether my deck adequately handles aquamancers against a deck with 4 that are actively protected.  Or I could test how my latest hydra deck works against an opponent (me) that recognizes the latent threat of hydras and plays accordingly.  Finally, a hot seat mode will let me better test card interactions that would only rarely occur unless I set them up.  For instance, I want to know whether an aquamancer that uses its power to destroy a berserk djinn one column to the aquamancer's right will gain its health before or after the berserk djinn inflicts its point of damage to adjacent enemy creatures.  I need a health 1 aquamancer in an appropriate column relative to a health 1 berserk djinn -- easy to contrive if I play both sides, but extremely rare in "normal" play.

Re: No power cards

SteveGoblin
I have been aware of the need for test decks for sometime.  So it will happen.  Of course some AI decks will always use Power Cards, but given a wide choice of decks to choose from (in future), you can always choose the ones without power cards to test your latest creations.

Re: No power cards

.Confused.
Actually, I find the best way to test decks is against other players. PVP does not involve power cards & pits you against someone facing the same constraints you do, with the obvious benefit of being friendlier than the AI (in most cases).

Space Odyssey's Hal seems to have gotten rid of most humans from the Spellcraft spaceship. Or so it seems, as most have disappeared from the PVP platform and THAT was the best testing method, in my opinion. Now there is no diversity in the PVP and it's a sad place.

So... Customized AI sounds good i guess, but reclaiming human presence sounds better to me.

Re: No power cards

Jambo(75)
So what this comes down to, and it's largely the reason why I don't play as much online I'd like to, is the ability to quickly find opponents.  I realise we now have the Glassboard app but to me there's still an obvious and immediate need for some kind of in-game multiplayer lobby.  Somewhere we can hang out and spot people who're wanting to play. There's not enough players to reliably use Game Center's automatching functionality and so it's a natural detractor to playing online.

On 7 January 2014 02:45, .Confused. [via Spellcraft - Descent into Chaos] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, I find the best way to test decks is against other players. PVP does not involve power cards & pits you against someone facing the same constraints you do, with the obvious benefit of being friendlier than the AI (in most cases).

Space Odyssey's Hal seems to have gotten rid of most humans from the Spellcraft spaceship. Or so it seems, as most have disappeared from the PVP platform and THAT was the best testing method, in my opinion. Now there is no diversity in the PVP and it's a sad place.

So... Customized AI sounds good i guess, but reclaiming human presence sounds better to me.

http://spellcraft-descent-into-chaos.13652.n7.nabble.com/No-power-cards-tp857p862.html
To start a new topic under Spellcraft - Descent into Chaos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Spellcraft - Descent into Chaos, click here.
NAML

Re: No power cards

Valentino
I notice all players are coming to the same conclusion I had, expressed in different words.

Pro players need a robust platform to test their decks.

I find embarassing playing with another player with a test deck.

Re: No power cards

No doubt that if I am frustrated you are as well ;)

I start to know the personalities of each of you guys eheh

Re: No power cards

Its difficult for us to get the amounts of players needed to get a 2 player game at amy time. One possible idea is to have a system where a list of names is avavilable in game and you click on those and begin a game. You would only appear on the list if you have flagged yourself as available now. I am not too sure what is allowed with gamecentre so i will have to talk to our programmer.
 We are considering converting it to many languages, I except this could bring in large amounts of users.

Re: No power cards

Jambo(75)
Hi Mark, I really hope something can be done re the online side. In many
ways this might be a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario. The way MP is
just now, with it being rather futile attempting to automatch online games,
it will definitely turn people away if it's the MP side they were looking
for. (I speak from experience here as I had deleted this app for many
months).  If they like the game, then they'll maybe resort to the pretty
good SP until they're done with it or have completed it, at which point
they'll move on.

Compare this to a game where there's a MP lobby where it's easy to locate
and determine if an online game is possible and perhaps even some
rudimentry stats tracking system such as win/loss, ELO, or something
else. If they like the game, then MP will be an obvious hook. Word of mouth
then spreads.

A leap of faith.

Otherwise, it will continue to exist as a temporary SP foray with only the
diehard automatchers playing online or people savvy enough with Glassboard
who are unpeturbed by being smashed by pros.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised that by replying to the email notice directly I'm unwittingly derailing the thread's topic.