PVP Game drops

12

Re: PVP Game drops

Mr.Rouge
I agree with cog.bot (one of good players that I can't fight against anymore). Every issue for me started after your last update, and I have same router, same configuration etc.
If double NAT would be the problem, I can't understand why I cannot play with an iPhone, two iPads (all of them fully updated) connecting under 4 different wi-fi networks (in different cities) nor under 3G/4G network when ALL of those devices/networks worked perfectly before...

Strange how sometimes I can play with some players after something like 10/12 drops, or I can play perfectly with the last one standing guy (Tsilfikas).

I'm not a network engineer too, but I'm pretty sure that my local connection is ok...

Thanks for your help Mike, every tip is very appreciated :)

Re: PVP Game drops

Cog.Bot
MikeGoblin wrote
Thanks for the offer of help - I guess if you know of ways to configure the local network to avoid double NAT that might help some people.
I am not a network person, but I now understand a lot more about NAT and double NAT setups.  I have two suggestions:

1) Read the excellent article at http://www.graemenoble.id.au/post/48695277030/double-nat-explained-and-possible-solutions  -- it describes what a double NAT is, why it exists, and a number of possible solutions.

2) Apple Time Capsule can be a problem (it was mine) and the web is filled with double NAT Time capsule issues.  All I did to fix my problem was connect wirelessly to my (wireless) router so I was no longer having double NAT issues.  If you can't do that and you have a double NAT setup, you should be able to fix it from one of the solutions in the above article.

I don't understand why Mr.Rouge can't play via 3G or 4G network connection unless the other player has a double NAT issue (and that would be just bad luck ;-), though if someone is a network person, I'd love to have a better explanation.  I do know that many coffee shops and public wifi areas can have double NAT issues (now that I know what to look for).

Good luck and hope this helps someone.

Cog.Bot

Re: PVP Game drops

markturnergoblin
There is another 2 player fix coming when Ice is released which may help some cases.

Re: PVP Game drops

Mr.Rouge
Thanks everyone for support. Mike, I hope so... I'll keep waiting.

Just to know... someone else have my same issue or I'm just the only lucky winner? ;)

Re: PVP Game drops

Cog.Bot
I think I'm unsure about what is actually happening with the drops.

I have drops like everyone else, but I also have a fair number of playable games.  I have assumed that the reason for the game drops is because my opponent has the double nat issue.

And Mr.Rouge definitely seems to have the double nat issue, so we should not be able to play together. Indeed, when we queue up, the game gives us both wins after 20 seconds and we both grumble.  BUT tonight we just completed a single game.  Nothing changed on either side and we couldn't complete games on either side of the successful game, but if the double nat issue always leads to disconnection problems, why were we able to play even a single game successfully?  The game definitely took several minutes, so it was definitely over the 20 second time limit.  (It was a fun game, as always).

Does this mean that there is something else going on?

Anything we / I can do to help?

Re: PVP Game drops

Mr.Rouge
Yeah, it's definitely something else, despite "symptoms" are the same... I checked my connection type and there's no double NAT, and I keep to test the PVP wherever I can connect my phone to 3G/4G or wifi (friends, restaurants, stores and markets, airports and train stations etc)... double NAT everyone? I don't believe so! but as you experienced, Cog.Bot, sometimes I can play normally with everyone. Sometimes I need to let game drops several times before having a single match. Often I'm able to play with certain players without a single issue for months, then suddenly I cannot do that anymore... Cog.Bot, you are the perfect example. We played every match for a long time, but now... no more. It's weird!

Re: PVP Game drops

Hey guys, some quick notes:

- Double NAT problem doesn't ensure a disconnection, it just makes it very likely.
- If the game disconnects at ~20 seconds it's most likely the double NAT problem
- For Mr Rouge we demonstrated that your primary connection had the issue, and confirmed it with trace route
- There are other causes of disconnects too, some of which may be other bugs in Spellcraft

Things that probably help in all cases:

- Rebooting the device prior to playing
- Restarting Spellcraft after a match has suffered a disconnection

You might have more tips too :)

Re: PVP Game drops

Cog.Bot
MikeGoblin wrote
Hey guys, some quick notes:

- Double NAT problem doesn't ensure a disconnection, it just makes it very likely.
Ah!  I didn't think it was possible to play with a double NAT -- thanks for the clarification.

I do reboot frequently and restart as well, to relatively little help.  I don't have any other suggestions, alas.

Re: PVP Game drops

Mr.Rouge
After several testing weeks I can affirm that my issue is solved under cellular connection. I don't know what happened, I haven't change anything, simply it's solved! I still have same problems under EVERY wi-fi hotspot... But anyway is a breakthrough, lol. I can play less but with more chances to finish games. Sometimes I'll try to accept challenges under wifi just for test.
12