Question about the rainbow pearl

Collin
I am having trouble understanding why the rainbow pearl is a rare card. It seems to me that the only time it is useful is when you are way ahead in the match and you really don't have anything else that you would rather play. That way you could save the power for later.

Other than that it seems like it's actually worse than the shimmering pearl because it costs 2 and, in effect, it still only gives you 1 extra power since you have to use 2 power to even play it, whereas the shimmering pearl is a 0 cost card. I can see it helping the ai if there is a power card that gives them a free item or something, but I fail to see a good use for it, from a player perspective.

Maybe I'm missing something (and if I am, let me know), but it just seems like it would only be worth using if it had one less cost or it gave one more power. In any case, the game is fun and I play against my brother all the time, so keep up the good work. I look forward to trying out the air expansion.

Re: Question about the rainbow pearl

SteveGoblin
Hello Collin,

Thanks for writing!

In Spellcraft we don't use the idea that rare = better. Some card games do.
For us,rare means it is very strong is some situations or its just an unusual creature in the world.

Rainbow Pearl has its uses. It's a good way to get ready for a big finishing move.
It's also nice with Triton Pearldiver, for example. I am sure other players can suggest other cunning uses.

In future expansions, it will have even more value. One much later expansion is Desert which focuses on Items- Rainbow Pearl will have many more uses then.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

Re: Question about the rainbow pearl

I thought about the same thing before but realize that u can save up your extra 2power for the next turn for 3 power which is 8 power for next turn, which is a lot.

Re: Question about the rainbow pearl

LiefLAO
Rainbow pearl sets up a devastating play for next turn. The extra 3 power allows for a huge punish on the opponent.

For example, you can cast a meteor while being able to have a spare 4 power to apply more field pressure for the opponent.
Hero of Spellcraft