Some Decks I've Made

Isaiah
This post was updated on .
Hi, I'm a relatively new player of Spellcraft and thought I would post some decks I've made so far (I still haven't created an account yet so I'm still considered a guest though I've played a couple of multiplayer games):

Life and Death:
2x Undead Giant
1x Gorger
1x Howling Banshee
1x Screaming Skulls
2x Blood Vapour
2x Necromages
1x Ravenous Ghoul
1x Undead Tritons
4x Zombie Mob
1x Bodyswap
1x Decay
2x Harpy
2x Miasma
2x Mortality
1x Doomsong
2x Blessed Unicorn
1x Deepwood Spider
1x Giant Owl
2x Grizzlies
1x Ant Swarm
1x Glade Faeries
1x Living Maze
1x Tree of Life
1x Wall of Webs
1x Life Berries
2x Wild Growth
1x Wind Strength
1x Heart of the Forest
------------------------------------
Barricade:
1x Deepwood Ash
2x Blessed Unicorn
1x Deepwood Spider
1x Grizzlies
2x Fey Spirit
1x Living Maze
1x Overgrown Forest
1x Tree of Life
2x Rebirth
1x Evolve
2x Natural Order
1x Life Berries
1x Rooted
3x Wild Growth
3x Wind Strength
1x Heart of the Forest
1x Essence Eater
1x Shadow Dragon
3x Underdark Worm
1x Darkling Assassins
2x Albino Cave Slug
2x Spore Farm
2x Wall of Stalagmites
1x Mind Transfer
2x Narrow Tunnels
1x Underworld Elixir
Winter's Might:
1x Essence Eater
1x Shadow Dragon
3x Underdark Worm
1x Darkling Assassins
3x Phantasma
2x Albino Cave Slug
3x Kobo Summoners
3x Kobo Miners
1x Kobo Tunnelrunners
1x Spore Farm
1x Wall of Stalagmites
1x Underworld Elixir
2x Unnatural Goo
3x Blizzard Giant
1x Frost Dragon
1x Winter Might (? - Hard to see)
1x Snow Mole
1x Aurora
1x Frozen Fey
2x Black Ice
3x Frost Breath
2x Path of Frost
1x Thin Ice

So, assuming anyone still watch this forum (which is likely), I would like for someone to tell me what they think of my deck and maybe some improvements. (Though, keep in mind that I am only at level 20 or so in the campaign. As far as factions go, I have some cards in every faction except Jungle. My starting faction was Forest (with Ocean support), and I have enough cards in Forest, Underworld, Swamp, Air, and Ice to use one of those as my primary faction.)

(PS: There are a bunch of advertisement threads at the top of the forum. Also, unless I am mistaken, it seems like guests can post and create threads?)

(PS2: The card 'Taken Under' states that the target minion is shuffled back into the owner's deck; however, I've noticed that this is not the case--the next card I draw if my opponent used 'Taken Under' on one of my minions is that minion. Is this intended? If so, I think the description ought to be changed.)

Re: Some Decks I've Made

Isaiah,

Sorry, I haven't been watching the forums closely of late so I didn't seeyou post until today.  Let me have some time to try your decks and I will give you feedback.

One difficulty is that I don't really know which cards you do have.  At level 20, it may be more important to focus on card aquisition over deck optimization, that is to buy packs and excellent general purpose cards over cards specifically useful in one deck.

 I also recommend that you stick with a few factions you like rather than dabbling in all factions.  As you advance against the AI, opponents become very tough, and it is better to have one good deck than several mediocre decks.  Except for underworld, you are starting with some difficult factions.  I was months trying to figure out how to make air competitive (although once mastered, it is very strong).  But the lack of strength 4 cards requires one to find other ways to make the deck work.  Forest tends to be defensive and slow.  This serves well against the AI, but can be tricky in PVP.  Swamp is a good faction, but very few of its common cards have much punch.  You need to build a good collection of uncommon and rare cards to build an outstanding deck.  Ice is subtle.  It is expensive in power points -- something that must be offset by card synergies.

That's all I will say until I'm able to try your decks.

Re: Some Decks I've Made

First, I want to thank you for your post.  It has given me something new to think about on a game I love, but a game which has honestly gotten stale without a lot of really active players or new content.  Before I discuss your specific decks, I wish to make some general observations.

First, I think you have shown generally excellent judgment in the design of these decks.  While you don’t have a huge collection of cards, you have made each deck unique, each deck is purposeful, and each does surprisingly well (given a shortage of the “best” cards) against the AI.  One refreshing characteristic of your decks is the use of a wide variety of cards.  While this might be out of necessity (you can only use multiple copies of a card if you own multiple copies), it creates a lot of flexibility during play, and makes each game different and thought provoking.

So let me talk about your three decks as I perceive them.

DECK: LIFE AND DEATH
Primary Strategy: overwhelm enemy minions with growing minions and strong minions
Key Cards: blood vapor, ant swarm, gorger
Crucial Support Cards: strong minions, necromages, horrify (I believe you misread these as harpies), wild growth, glade fairies, bodyswap, life granting cards
Useful Support Cards: banshees, ghouls, tritons, zombies, barriers, wild strength
Questionable Support Cards: screaming skulls, heart of the forest, miasma, doomsong, decay
Doubtful Cards: mortality
Pace: moderately slow
Strengths: good synergies, excellent flexibility with multiple tactical opportunities
Vulnerabilities: blitz decks, stranglehold decks, massive minions (strength 4 and 5), bodyswap
Card Management: banshees, necromages, and blood vapors are good first turn plays, wild growth, zombies, ghouls, and tree of life are OK first (3 power point) turn plays.  13 cards is enough to almost always have a good opening play.  I also never found my hand to become seriously depleted – even with a number of cheap cards to burn through, I always had sufficient opportunity to tap for more cards.  And I never came close to depleting my deck.  I did often wish I had more minions (or barriers) in my hand.  There are 26 presence cards (usually minions or barriers) as opposed to 14 influence cards (spells, and back row cards).  This is not a bad ratio.  (I prefer to keep influence cards to under 12, but I’m conservative on that.)  Perhaps my complaint here is more a personal preference.
Power Management:  Your deck has 7 four power cards, 5 three point cards, 18 two point cards, 7 one point cards, and 3 zero point cards.  These small power cost cards can be combined in many ways; I rarely had power left over unless I was in a situation where there was no need to use the power.
Probability Management:  You only have 4 “key cards” in your deck – and none of them can be summoned.  This is insufficient to expect a key card to be drawn early in the game.  However, the deck has enough flexibility that it plays OK even without the key cards.  This could be better, but it is acceptable.
Comments: Blood vapors are very dangerous unless destroyed quickly, and you have several cards which will help keep them alive including glade fairies to immediately increase health beyond reach of flamestrike, owls, and darkling assassins; as well as horrify which drives strong opposing minions away, and wild strength which can add a valuable boost when the card is still weak.  You also have necromages to clear combat immune cards that might block the vapor.  Gorgers present a second growth option and you have wild growth and glade fairies to help prevent them from destroying themselves.  They must be played at an opportune time (when you are about to kill one or two units) so you can quickly get past their vulnerable strength 2 stage.  Ant swarm is a third growth card.  It will be hard to trigger, but you do have a couple of tricks to try – wild strength to give a timely boost to destroy an opposing unit, and horrify to (with luck) send something weak into the swarm path.  I also like the life granting cards that offset self-inflicted damage of necromages and blood vapors – and I like that these come in different forms so one can choose the most appropriate.  Banshees are a great early game card – they are hard to oppose.  Ghouls and zombies have good defensive values (and then they fuel undead giants special power) and tritons cheaply reduce big enemy threats.  Al small handful of varied barriers also gives you cheap defensive support.
Suggestions: This deck can really benefit from a few strength 4+ cards.  Consider, as you acquire bone dragons and forest dragons, replacing the grizzlies, spiders, and possibly the owls with dragons.  Screaming skulls and miasma are hand attack cards that I don’t think advance your deck much.  I would replace the skulls (which will be pretty hard to trigger since I would save horrify for more useful hits) with either tritons or banshees, and the miasma with more horrify.  Heart of the forest is really only cost effective if you are playing lots of cheap minions – not the case with this deck.  I think you will find that you almost always would prefer to hold a tree of life instead.  Finally, I wouldn’t bother with doomsong.  Most decks with substantial life granting ability are slow – which gives your blood vapors time to grow.  A strength 8 or 10 vapor will quickly overcome even 30 extra life.  Finally, decay is too slow and you have nothing to support it.  Another bodyswap better counters most dangerous units.
Recommendations: mortality has anti-synergy with banshees and blood vapors.  You don’t want to deplete your health from multiple sources.  (I must admit, there was one game when I drew no vapors or necromages – I was able to win on a combination of unicorns and mortality.  But I think this is an exception.

On the whole, this is a strong and delightful deck.  If you don’t mind, I would like to keep it in my collection to play with against the AI.  I am out of time to deal with the other decks and will not have time for a while.  This I will post this review so you can benefit from it.  I will address the other decks in another post when I get a chance.