Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

--cwc88--
Opponent:

0 cards in hand; 4 life; 2 cards in deck

In play:

                       |   Captured Soul  |                               |                       |

1/1 Zombie Mob  | 4/4 Bone Dragon |   3/3 Cloud Dragon     | 1/3 Zombie Mob |  2/2 Storm Fiend

2/1 Aeromancers |      1/2 Sirens    |        3/2 Archmage     |   2/4 Stormship  |

   Spell Net         |                       |       Lost at Sea         |     Null Wand      |

Your hand:  Mage Tower, Sink, Archmage, Storm Core

You have 2 life; 1 card in deck; 5 power points.

It is your turn, after the draw and before the attack.  What's your play?

This situation (or one effectively identical) came up in a game I played against AI.  It didn't occur to me to take a screenshot until after some things had changed, hence the (hopefully not too confusing) presentation above.

If this was too easy for you, please post one that isn't!

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

what is captured soul again?

I think I figured that out, are we suppose to post answer?

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

--cwc88--
Captured Soul is an item (swamp) that can be sacrificed to gain one power point.

And sure, post away.

Spoilers below ; )

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

Quintavarium
Excellent puzzle.  It took me a long time to figure out how to avoid losing based upon running out of cards.  (Curse the draw a card property of sink!)  Do I correctly assume that you have to pray your opponent's deck holds none of the following: a barrier, a cheap minion or item and the blood orb card, or two spells -- one cheap and the other being either miasma, death is inevitable, or energize?

Here is my puzzle: What is the highest strength minion achievable in Spellcraft?  Assume that both the opposing player and luck cooperate, but that both decks must be legal, and neither player loses before that strength is achieved.

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

--cwc88--
Thanks, Quint.

Yes, victory is not guaranteed.  The question "What's your play?" is meant to elicit the optimal way to play out your turn--the one most likely to end with victory, even if that is not always (which it won't be, as you point out).

That said, I don't think Energize does us in.  Cloud Dragon has Spell Immunity and can't be Energized (assuming we don't use Null Wand on it on our turn). Not enough power points to use Bone Dragon's ability (4) to kill Sirens, draw a card (2), and cast Energize (1), even if a 0-cost spell is cast first to trigger Spell Net.

Now I'm off to work on yours....

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

in the first puzzle is it possible to kill them in your go?

The 2nd one about the highest strength minion I think if you have deepspawns(pay 2 to increase stats by 1) and some  re-emergence (put all minions in your dp to your deck) and have a deck of nearly all minions.
You coud have a few mind transfers and take some sea dragons off your oponent to make it possiblty infinit size if they are complety on your side.

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

--cwc88--
Mark, I do not think it is possible to win on the turn in question, no.

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

Quintavarium
Mark,

Yours is a better solution than mine -- I forgot about sea dragons.  Of course, your opponent has to have resurgence as well.  Probably a simpler solution is to then simply take a blue-green deck, all minions except for 1 resurgance spell and 2 living maze.  Include 4 wolves, and one sea dragon in your deck.  Do not play resurgence until deck has 0 cards, then play resurgence.  Make sure sea dragon goes into discard pile every cycle.  Let your opponent do the same with the same deck construction.  Both players only place minions opposite living mazes.  Neither player should ever injure the other, game goes forever, and wolves slowly grow.  This doesn't even rely on luck (catching a sea dragon).  Clearly, not as good a puzzle as I originally thought.  A better question, "what is the highest strength minion you can achieve without resurgence?"

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

i guess i will put my answer and see if anyone has a different way.

Attack, then archmage replaces stormship and storm core and mage tower at empty slot.

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

Quintavarium
Art, you have the same solution I came up with.

Re: Spellcraft Brain Teaser (1 of ?)

--cwc88--
This is what I had in mind, yes.  In reality, my opponent did not have any of the combos that would prevent us from winning, and this move gave me the game.

I believe this is the only solution.

And yeah, it looks like you guys figured out the biggest minion question by "going infinite" with the Sea Dragon/Reemergence combo.  I was in the middle of doing some math with Cinderlings/Sky Hydra/Body Swap (involving LOTS of cooperation from your opponent); glad I read this answer before getting too involved....

I'll keep my eye out for more interesting/complicated board situations and possibly just make some up to post.  Others are encouraged to do the same!