Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Valentino
I developed a new Excel tool: SPELLCRAFT DRAW PREDICTOR

This tool will predict the chances you have during the game to draw:
a) A specific card
b) A card type
c) A card having a define PP cost

No VBA is required!

your feedback is appreciated
Spellcraft_draw_predictor.xlsm

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Valentino
did anybody use it?

any feedback?

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Molotch
Will be giving it a go next week at work, thanks again.
I wonder if people are worried that it's removing a bit of the game for them, if you know what I mean?
That said, a post to that effect would be all that's required. We're not all the same after all.

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Valentino
When I was younger I played Magic the Gathering a lot. I was too young to see numbers behind the game and calculate the outcomes through formulae.

After I got a job as analyst and I learnt how to use Excel my approach to any strategy game changed drastically.

I am aware that not all people have my same approach - perhaps I have been lucky to meet Quinti in this forum - but you cannot ask to change my approach if you don't share it.

As well I am available to share the math tools I develop otherwise you could say that I use them to gain an advantage. This does not mean you have to use them.

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Molotch
This post was updated on .
When I suggested "a post to that effect" I was only suggesting that it would be good if other forum users posted you some feedback whatever their view. I am not someone who would ever attempt to alter another persons view just because it did not match my own. I do hope you have not taken any offence when there was no intention to do so.

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Quintivarium
Valentino's tools that I have used so far are all automations of calculations most players are constantly making at either an exact or intuitive level.  You may not always choose to use his tools -- it is a bit inconvenient to have Excel at hand for some of us, but I could not imagine them detracting from the game.  They basically provide convenient ways to get elementary facts; they do not take decision making from the player.

Now it is the case that there are ideas Valentino and I are working on, that if brought to full fruition, might ruin the game (e.g. finding the ideal distribution of certain classes of cards in one's hand), but I think this is akin to those who seek the perfect chess opening that will always force a win -- in hundreds of years, no such thing has been found, but chess theory has been tremendously enriched by their efforts.  And, honestly, card distribution is a factor in the creation of every hand -- we are simply bringing mathematical tools into its consideration.

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

One of the things I think we all appreciate about Valentino is his willingness to openly share his ideas, discoveries, and, yes strategies.  Very few players are as open or as willing to give up their deck ideas.  There are many wonderfully helpful Spellcraft players if you ask on a one to one basis, but few who will be as public with their suggestions.

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Molotch
Unless I'm sorely mistaken, a simple post that was intended provide positive feedback for Valentino's efforts seems to have descended into some kind of teacher/pupil finger wagging offensive. Well fair enough if that's the way you like it. I shall not be posting again, goodbye.

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Quintivarium
Molotch,

I'm sorry if I offended you.  I did not mean this as an attack on (or even a defensive reaction to) your post.  You asked a question that is certainly a viable and important one.  It is possible to make the game so mechanical that people cease to enjoy it.  And it is certainly conceivable (although I don't think it possible) that analysis would reveal an "unbeatable" strategy that ruins the game - and I would expect the goblins to immediately address such an occurrence with changes that fixed the problem should it occur.

My first response was simply to address you concern with my belief that, while some people may not appreciate Valentino's tool, I don't think it would spoil the game for anyone.

My second post was not a reaction to your post at all -- it was intended as simply expressing appreciation that Valentino so openly shares his ideas.

If I failed to accurately convey that with my posts, blame me -- not the forum.  You are a valuable contributor, and we need more of those.

Quint

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Valentino
Maybe I should not publish anymore my tools publically given that few people contribute and it is used to start unecessary flames :-))))

It is very nices to see such outcomes of many hours spent to develop new tools... :-)))

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Valentino
"With regard to an earlier post I would like to state that I did not mean to suggest that Molotch was asking for me to change my approach to Spellcraft"

Re: Spellcraft Draw Predictor

Molotch
Quint - thank you for a most erudite reply.

Val - I doff my cap to you.