Spellcraft wishes

Quintivarium
I am creating this thread so players can discuss features/changes they would dream of seeing in the Spellcraft game.  I'll start with some of mine:

1.  An ability to track progress toward achievments (like twisted firestarter) -- and, when they become available, unlockable cards.

2.  Global chat threads so I can reply to an old message in context.

3.  Continued card adjustments.  In particular, I think the following need connsideration:
     a. Feral elementals (compares unfavorably to both flamespike and ruby hatchling)
     b. Ant swarm (just too vulnerable)
     c. Overgrown forest (compare to wall of stalagmites or tree of life)
     d. Water elemental (compare to triton assassin or aqualid hunter)
     e. Skeleton crew (special requires opponent to have expended items -- a rare occurrence)
     f. Lich touch (not competitive with direct damage; needs to be cheaper -- or an aura)
     g. Power dive (application too limited -- odds of holding power dive when it would be useful are small)
     h. Law of the jungle (much harder than pack attack to use advantageously, but more expensive)
     i. Triton aquamancer (too powerful, to the point it reduces rather than increases deck options)

4.  A resumption of Spellcraft fiction

5.  5 more factions -- tomorrow!  (Who ever said dreams have to be reasonable?)

Re: Spellcraft wishes

SteveGoblin
Very good to hear these suggestions.

Number 5 is entirely my fault since I've been writing essays, so the fiction got left. However, I have started again.

Number 3. Several cards, many of which you mention, are going to get an upgrade. We are not going to change card type or functions, as that might annoy or confuse players; but do expect some to become cheaper, or have a little extra health. Some might also get their ability backed up with another one too. We are very aware of these concerns , and getting the balance right has needed 1000's of games to learn. However, with each faction , I think we've got closer and closer.

Do keep up the suggestions !

Re: Spellcraft wishes

jamges
1. Ability to sift through your discard pile. Useful before casting Stitched Golem, or knowing if Undead Giant has something to throw, or if casting Reemergence is worth it, or some other card that relies on your discrd pile.

2. Campaign with some semblance of a story that gets you from one place to the next.

3. Cards that affect the number of drawable cards in your opponent's deck - something like the Scorched Earth power card. Since your opponent loses if he/she has nothing to draw, this can be a viable option to win with barriers and combat immunity cards.

4. Spectator mode / ability to watch replays or post match results in social media. Can also work as good marketing to spread the word and increase player base.

5. Deck statistics in-game - much like Valentino's tools. Shows the number of minions, spells, etc, in a deck.

6. Remove the rank number in pvp - does nothing but demotivate lower ranked players.

Re: Spellcraft wishes

On 6, see Quints comments on this in another thread. A lot of players do find it useful.

I think the underlying problem there was that there are some players who are Level 1 and have just a Starter Deck, and then think they will be able to win against another person when they really don't know what they are doing yet :)

A player who is experienced but unranked should be able to play a good match against someone with much higher rank, they just need the courage to try it. And if they lose, well, maybe they learnt something and will be better prepared for their next game :)

Re: Spellcraft wishes

Valentino
1. Guilds. Guildmasters should create decks and guild members should use this deck. Each guild has its own score

2. War. Real time battleground in which the lands of the map are the prize and the conquer is updated based on victories of the players (maybe guilds or factions used?)

3. Card trading system among players

4. Limited edition cards. Maybe not new but with fancy art.

5. better user interface

6. nicer graph (not cardart but the overall structure)

7. More social networking tools for players

8. The story told as fiction could influence the gameplay on temporary basis

9. STATISTICS

10. ADVANCED STATISTICS

12. EXCEL FRIENDLY TABLES FOR STATISTICS

13. Player hall of fame (With me on top)

Re: Spellcraft wishes

.Confused.
I wish the game stayed simple.
My main reason is that the more complex the game is, the less likely new players will feel welcome. I am not looking forward to more interaction than the ones that PVP chat, plus these forums, already affords me. The global chat interruptions as notifications actually bothers me & I can't turn it off, or I'd miss any goodies the Goblins would offer us.

Methinks that the idea to see factions struggle on a map can be done very simply: games won in PVP. No guilds, wars or arrangements necessary; just a compilation, by the software, of which faction wins in PVP. Then the result is reproduced on a map & forum threads can be created for those who root for a particular faction, then calling it guild, war or whatever they wish. No impact on game simplicity.

The fiction could be integrated to the campaign, between levels-up for example, to satisfy a few of the suggestions above with a single solution. No impact on game simplicity.

The main improvement I'd wish for is the addition of factions.
This will truly augment player retention and game versatility, plus encouraging gold purchase. (I want to see people put their money where their entertainment is, or we might eventually get plagued with publicity.) Why wait 2 or 3 years, losing many new player in-between updates? Factions should definitely have precedence over new features like unlockable cards, in my opinion. Five new factions, tomorrow! No impact on game simplicity.

Keep the new players rolling in is the only improvement I really hope for!

Re: Spellcraft wishes

markturnergoblin
There is an upcoming update coming in a couple of days that enable you to turn off the global chat.Also it wont be quite so in your face,the messages will appear as a small box at the bottom of the screen if you want to see them at all.
 I will start on the Ice cards very soon.

Re: Spellcraft wishes

I am fully aware that this has been discussed before, but I want to give it momentum.

The ranking system just means nothing. It only serves to boost overinflated egos. A person with wayyyy too much time on their hands can have a rank of thousands, while a good player with less opportunities to play will stay in the low hundreds. I would scratch the system entirely. Maybe keep it in GC to keep the ranking and make people feel they haven't lost their.. hmmm... status?

 Here's the idea to replace it:

Instead, I would let the different factions fight it out on the map screen. A few post topics have been about factions strenghts and player trends, we could see it actually being fought on the map! Not to affect the AI match screen, but on the default map that is seen upon loading the game. Maybe a superposition of colors representing the factions?

Nothing fancy, just counting the wins/losses of the factions. Kindof: gain/lose a square millimeter of territory according to the match result. When a faction conquers 50% of the map, it wins and the map is reset, for example.

Maybe you put it in the works, maybe it's not so complicated, maybe it would be a fun way to make the game even more thematic, in the sense of the beautiful animation and storyline you created?

Pretty please.

.C.

PS: Please? Did i say Please?

Re: Spellcraft wishes

Quintivarium
re: ranking system
I agree the ranking system does not necessarily reflect player strengths, but at present, for an only occasional player like myself, it is the only way to identify relative novice players.  As I've already indicated, I like to choose my decks to be suited to the likely card holding of my opponent.  Honestly, the ratings do not reflect this well: I've met players in the hundreds still using what is virtually a starter deck, and players in the single digits who play 12 to 15 appropriate rare cards.  But it is better than nothing.

re: faction success map
I think this is a wonderful idea: it tracks interesting statistics and trends for the players, and introduces meaningful faction "teams" without really committing a player to any one faction.  My only suggestion would be to display the map as the background to the multi-player matching screen rather than the initial map screen, as I don't know how the goblins could put it there without losing some of the appeal of the initial map.