Why are spellcraft dying?

Bluspell
Please don't let it die!

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Hi Bluespell,

We're still here!
But yes it took a long time to notice your message, and people don't seem to be talking here much any more.

The latest version of the game is I believe the best!

So, tell your friends, and help us find more players ;)

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Bluspell
Dear Mike,
I agree, the latest version of the game is the best!
The background matching works, but perhaps the players don't know jet.

Last night I find two players for pvp macht. So Spellcraft isn't dead!
But, it seems dead. Every time a connect I always see the same things.
It is important that the game looks alive.
So a want to give some possible suggestions.

Every day I connect and I want to see some news.

1) (again) the blog in the multiplayer page.
2) a simple mail system between players.
3) a reward for the first win of the day.
4) a special card offer in the store. For example, every day a random rare card for 30 gold.
5) an auction to sell and buy card.

I don't khow esactly, but
I suppose that some changes will take some days of work
and other will take months of work.
But I hope that a couple of such changes
will be sufficient to stir up the game.

Bluspell

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Thanks Bluspell, great ideas there!

We will see what we can do!

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

We think it’s a great game, but there are hardly any paying players and so it is difficult for us to remain motivated to make more updates.

It’s an enormous amount of work and we lose money every time we make updates it costs us more than we gain, so we’re actually paying to work hard for a game that at the moment not many people think is worth playing or paying for. We have so far spent many thousands of dollars and hours on the game.

I wish I could tell you that we will definitely be doing some updates, but at the moment I can’t say that for sure!

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Mr.Rouge
I’m very sorry to hear that... I hope there’s something we can do to change your mind! I can help buying something like blisters or deck pages, and maybe we all (survived) players can do it... other ways? Have you other projects we can participate with? Please don’t let this great game die...
Thanks Goblins!

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Quintivarium
Let me echo the sentiments of Mr. Rouge.  Spellcraft is a wonderful game and the Goblins are the best development team I can imagine.  It confounds me that the game has not caught on better than it has.  I do understand your frustration and will support you however you choose to move forward.

But please know the game has touched many lives.  Yes, it is just a game.  But it has brought me many hours of pleasure — both playing and analyzing.  And I know others it distracted through dark days of their lives.

Regardless of what the future holds, I want to say thank you.  And I’m sure I’m not alone.

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Thanks guys for the very kind words, really appreciated!

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Mr.Rouge
Some (good) news, anyone?
I stille there, keeping to play 1 player games, hoping in some upgrade or develope...

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Quintivarium
I still play occasionally.  There simply is not another game even close to Spellcraft.  But I do miss the days when multiplayer games could be easily picked up and players chatted enthusiastically.

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Thanks Quint.

I wonder if a different structure for fees would work?

For example:

- Free to buy, includes first Forest campaign for free. Players still gain coins and buy packs with coins etc, but maybe can't buy coins.
- To get to next map regions and unlock them, have to both complete first campaign AND pay a small amount? Repeated approach for additional map regions?

I don't know what the price points would be or if that model would appeal, but I think it has a fairness to it - people can't "pay to win" (as in buy loads of top cards for real money) and we earn as a direct proportion of people playing more of the content, which rewards good content.

I'd be interested in any player thoughts from people reading this, if you're willing to share (or if you prefer, email me directly at the usual address :))

Re: Why are spellcraft dying?

Quintivarium
First, let me comment that I am not certain I am representative of typical customers and am not sure I would have good insight into other's behavior on purchases.  I will happily share how I would act, but I'm not sure how much can be inferred from that.

Second, I am not entirely sure what you mean by "unlocking map regions".  As the campaign is presently structured, there isn't really a forest campaign (held only in the forest area), but the campaign is scattered across all areas.  I will address the question from the interpretation that, after the first few factions, a player can purchase an unlock of further factions.  I.e. perhaps a player starts with access to cards from forest, fire, underworld, and ocean.  As they gain levels, they gain the option of unlocking cards from swamp, air, jungle, ice, ...  Incidentally, I'm not sure how many factions players should get for free to try the game.  I would suggest at least 2 as very few good decks run only one faction, and I think potential players need a certain amount of experience with different cards to realize how rich and enticing the game is.

Those concerns aside, I would gladly support measures that help you, the developers of this wonderful game, begin to get paid appropriately for your work.  I would certainly be willing to pay a reasonable amount ($20 - $25) for new factions.  I am especially hoping to see mountain (which I suspect will best support my playing style), but there is always joy at any new faction.  And I do not say this lightly -- to date, Spellcraft is the only app on which I have spent real cash.  (And I'm a bit ashamed to admit how little that has actually been given my enjoyment of the game.  To the developers credit, I haven't really found anything I needed to pay for.)

But even in enthusiastically supporting changes to the fee structure (especially if that can bring us new content), I have to admit that this enthusiasm may stem from factors that won't impact new players quite as much: I love the game -- its simple rules but tremendous depth, its creativity, and its ability to immerse a player.  I am also nostalgic about a time when the game was newer and players were numerous and enthusiastic.  And finally, I have come to trust the developers.  I know their first priority is in creating a beautiful product that players enjoy.  I know they are not motivated by greed or inclined to exploit their players.  I'm not sure the extent to which new players will realize and experience this before being asked to pay for features.  And if they experience a good game, I don't know if trusting the developers impacts a decision to spend money.

I do know that there are two factors necessary to revitalizing the game: 1. there must be enthusiastic players, and 2, there must be a fee structure that reasonaly supports the work of the developer.  I think the second has been missing and I am happy to hear plans to resolve this.  I believe the first should happen because it is a quality game, but I don't know if people will spend money unless there is a viable playing community.  I lack good suggestions to help that occur.