Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

Mack the Knife
i've never understood this.  i don't use barriers much but all i thought they were was a punching bag.  stick a 0/6 barrier in front of a strong minion until you get one of your own to counter attack.  so i'm confused why a Barrier would have Strength points.  an example is Swamp Rare, Necropolis.  it's a barrier but has 2/2 and "gains strength as your forces die".   first, 2 Health is not a strong barrier BUT why does it gain strength?  Strength is Attack, Barriers are defend (Health).   do barrier's also attack?  when, where, and how?

Re: Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

markturnergoblin
The barriers that have attack strength have a will or means to defend themselves. Like deeper darkness , jellyfish or necropolis. In the case of necropolis I imagine it would be fighting back with its skeletal limbs. Another new barrier in the jungle expansion is a carnivorous plant.Probably a good example as it is vicious but cant actually attack the player.

Re: Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

Mack the Knife
thanks mark, so a barrier with a 2/2 will attack an opposing minion during my attack phase?   is that correct?

also, what is 'vicious'?  don't think i've seen that.  is that like Spell Immunity, Quick, Elusive?  is it new?  or what cards now have it as i can't find any.

No , a wall will never actually make an attack.So in effect it never moves in to attack people, but it will use its attack strength against anyone that tries to attack it.
I just mean vicious as a descriptive word by the way. Here's that jungle barrier,I wouldn't recommend using this as a punchbag  somehow.

Re: Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

Mack the Knife
but it will use its attack strength against anyone that tries to attack it.
ahhh!  so if a 2/2 minion attacks a 2/2 barrier it will be a stalemate,  that's how the barrier's 2 strength factors in?

Re: Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

SteveGoblin
Just think of Strength as its ability to stand up for itself in a fight.  It isn't related to Attacking which means running over and bashing stuff.  But if something hits it, it will defend itself, using its Strength.

That is why we called it Strength and not "Attack Strength" but sometimes the terms get mixed or borrowed from other games.

Regards
Steve @ ThreeGoblins

Edit: And yes to your above post, which I actually answered in detail on the other thread!

Re: Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

Mack the Knife
This post was updated on .
was on a short hiatus from the game and now back which is why i'm asking all these questions.   well, last one for a while i hope.   how do Rank and Level connect?  i obtain +1 level by beating 10 factions but what is Rank and what do i need to accomplish for that to increase?

and when i play a faction, i see their name at the top with a number in parens, like Tritonia (3).   i am guessing that is their Rank (or is it?).   if I'm only Rank 1, for example, am I then playing an AI that is 2 ranks above me?  how come?  why aren't we even?  and again, how do i increase my Rank so we're at least even and will I ever play an AI that is lessor Rank?

<EDIT>
maybe i figured this out.  rank is multiplayer so rank 1 means i've not beat anyone (haven't played anyone either!).  so when i play the AI that number in parenthesis - Tritonia (3) - is "their" level, not rank...correct?

Re: Why do Barriers have Attack Points?

SteveGoblin
Hello Mac,

Yes, rank is a measure of player-versus-player performance.

The small number you see after an AI deck is just the name of that deck: so the region Tritonia has decks labelled 1–22 currently. It is a rough measure of how challenging they are. We were going to give them a real name instead but it got very hard as there are hundreds in total!

Steve @ ThreeGoblins