Wish for next update

.Confused.
Hello,

There are players that I refuse to play because they're simply not fun. Unfortunately, one of them being very, very active, it ends up that we meet in the queue, abort the meeting and then retry, then abort, then retry, then... So:

Is there a way that I could simply ban these players from my queue?

I am busy, i don't have as much time to play Spellcraft as I wish and this would really help me enjoy matches with decent people. Also, others could ban me and make my life easier through no effort of my own! I am not alone, as others have expressed their poor opinion of some players as well. Now that there is a better PVP crowd, I think it's worthwhile. It might actually keep people into PVP (and not quitting altogether) by avoiding bad experiences.

Cheers,

Re: Wish for next update

markturnergoblin
It may be possible for a future update,However I think it may be a bit tricky as we are just using Gamecentre and at the mercy of that . One thing I have found is that if I put a message on the global chat I will usually get some new players,that may be worth a try.

Re: Wish for next update

.Confused.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the answer.

The idea is not to get to new players, as there are plenty of these at the moment (Some are pretty strong!!! Good job guys!). The option to invite friends is also working well. I am really looking forward to use the queue system you Goblins have developped for us, but with an extra functionality: ban the few (2, 3?) players i really dislike and avoid we bump into each other in the queue. This would be great, as i could do something else (play the AI, create new decks) instead of just queue/cancel/queue/cancel/queue/cancel... when we both try to play PVP. He is suffering of Spellcraft hyper-activity, so it is a regular nuisance for both of us.

The other player has as much desire to play PVP as i do and i respect that, so it would actually solve both our problem. The ban would not affect their chance to play other players, nor would it affect mine. Win-win!

Thinking of new players, i do think it would improve experience and keep people into PVP. I've read pretty bad comments about other players when playing noobs. I usually give them a chance, give a "welcome" win and such, to which some reply that they had disappointing experiences with other players. Without surprise, they seem to stop playing Spellcraft after a short while. A ban on bad experiences would help fix that and preserve the player base, methinks.

Cheers,

Re: Wish for next update

Thanks for the feature idea, I've added it to the list but unfortunately it is unlikely to be added any time soon. I agree though that it is a useful feature.

We should be able to make some infrastructure improvements in the coming year that will let us add things like this more readily however, but no promises :)

In the meantime, maybe try some games again, who knows maybe the experience can change to mutual benefit.

Re: Wish for next update

Confused,

Are there particular things the newer players find objectionable about some of their pvp opponents that you can share?

Like you, I very much wish to contribute to a welcoming environment, but I'm not well attuned to social nuance.

So I am very open to suggestions on how best to identify and encourage new players, as well as avoiding bad experiences for them.

For instance, I do not know whether to provide constructive critism of decks or play.  Many new players do not use triggerable special powers well, but I also know there is a thin line between "suggestions" and "attacks".

Re: Wish for next update

Not everybody finds me fun to play, I'm sure.

What I'm also sure of is that players like to be congratulated on their good moves. When I will play a noob, i use my less efficient decks. My most efficient ones would not have any chances in a tournament anyways, but that's another story. That gives the player a chance. If you chat during their turn (always chat during the other person's turn, not to slow down the game) talking about their good moves, they'll sure react positively and even when defeated, they'll feel good.

When pointing out mistakes, ask first if the other would like advice on a card. If the player wants to hear you, be specific and say what potential benefit could have been gained. Even if you have to betray a hidden trap or a card in your hand. We have that type of experience to share. People have mostly complained about players that are full of themselves or condescending when trashing a noob; also, if a noob surrenders on you, calling it "rage quitting" is being oblivious to the fact that the problem is you, not them. If people don't want to play you anymore, it's because they are having an awful time. Give them the opposite! Reward them with a win (i'm sure you have more gold than you can use!) telling them that you'll surrender because of their nice game, just before you win.

Befriend anyone on GC, even just to give them a good feeling. Throw in some jokes about the cards or the gameplay (i.e. flame spike on aquamancer = fried fish!) and generally be courteous. Just make it fun, it's a game!

Well, that's pretty much what i can think about for the moment. I'm sure you and everyone else know other great ways to make this game a fun player interaction!

Cheers,

.C.

Re: Wish for next update

jamges
Hear hear Confused! I think encouraging new players should also rest upon the existing player base, not only the goblins. We all love this game, and a bigger community is definitely a win for everyone.

I not only lose to new players, I learn from them. Some of them use copycat decks from stronger (more annoying, unfortunately) players, but those decks have their own feel - one, two cards that make it unique.

When I was new, some players even coached me what to put in my decks, which I found very helpful.

Nobody wants to lose, for sure. But for a system that has no penalty for losing, what's a couple of gold if you know for a fact you have the stronger deck. I think it's worth the price for keeping more active players.

Re: Wish for next update

Quintivarium
I sometimes surrender games to new players -- they definitely need gold and encouragement more than I do.  But I wonder how many really appreciate that.  I know several players did that for me when I was a novice, and while I appreciated their congeniality, there was no satisfaction in either the wins or my inflated player rating.

Instead of routinely surrendering, I prefer to keep handy 4 or 5 "novice" decks that I pull whenever I meet a player whose rating is below about 50.  These are what I consider well constructed decks, but decks that avoid large numbers of cards that are hard to counter without a fairly wide card selection available -- e.g. I may include some strength 4 minions, but never more than 4 (of which I don't usually allow myself to play the last two unless my opponent shows big minions as well), or I may limit myself to one copy of each card, or avoid rare cards, or avoid all cards costing over 3 power, etc.  When novices defeat these decks, they truly deserve a victory -- it's not a shallow gift.  But they don't have to try to make a bunch of albino cave slugs compete against ruby dragons.

Of course, I do run into players who are more advanced than their rating (either they have played a lot of single player or they have purchased a lot of gold).  I usually lose if my opponent is in a "power phase" (I can't beat Ruby dragons with cave slugs either), but the game is at least interesting for both of us.  And my "novice" decks are good enough to have defeated many highly rated players.

Regardless of how it is done, I think players need to be supportive of novices -- however they choose to do so.

Re: Wish for next update

.Confused.
Jamges: very much agreed that the responsibility of making the game a fun interraction rests on the shoulders of the players, not the Goblins. That's why a ban option would empower me, the player, to make my experience better.

Quintivarium: i really agree with your opinion that a shallow victory can taste quite bland. In all honesty though, when i was a noob building my card collection, any gold was like a first kiss. Also, i think that playing easier decks have a perverse effect of denying a noob the chance of experiencing the best you can offer in deck-building. In my earlier post, i referred to a difference between using, against a noob, fun-to-play decks (kobos, tritons, traps) and not-as-much-fun-to-play decks (which neuters their opponent, or a wall deck which is long to play). I respect a lot how you play / your contributions to this forum and wish this is read solely as a friendly opinion :)

Cheers,

.C.

Re: Wish for next update

BourkeStreet
.Confused. wrote
suffering of Spellcraft hyper-activity so it is a regular nuisance for both of us.
I love how you refer to enthusiasm as suffering from hyperactivity. By that logic anyone spending time on something they enjoy has a disorder.