deck testing

Quintivarium
As I try playing contest decks, I am increasingly finding that the AI decks do not provide adequate tests.  Virtually every deck I try -- good or mediocre -- fares almost the same.  Power cards may bias the game drastically toward certain decks: aether, dragon blood, and vampire touch definitely favor high health decks with creatures like pyrohydra that regenerate.  Champion and monster isle favor decks with cards like implode, taken under, lost, darkling slavers, etc.  Mass delusion favors decks with ancient oaks, ancient turtles, aerovores, and the like.  Archage academy is biased toward decks with lots spells; hypnosis is highly biased against decks with spells.  Dark vortex favors decks with barriers.  Empower, total war, kracken's eye, and dark temple are very hard on "quick" or finesse decks  Strange energy plays into decks that would otherwise make bad use of power points.  Unsung usually reduces a game to luck of the draw.  There are a few power cards that rarely mess up a test: ancient curse, master crafter, vitality, druid's blessing, dreamless sleep, and mausoleum come to mind.  Many of the relatively rare decks containing no power cards are still poor tests; either they contain other cheats (like 30 wolf packs or 10 pyrohydras) or they are very weak -- unless one particularly nasty combo arises (such as the piranha deck that occasionally draws a gravity well).  A particular deck's win-loss record is far more a function of what it plays than how it plays.

PVP is the other way to test a deck, but such tests are limited by: 1 availability of opponents 2. playing strength of opponents, 3. opponents card availability, and 4. deck match up.

So first, I would like to request a "test mode" where a player can play vs. himself with two decks of choice, presumably with no gold awarded.

Second, I would like to ask other players how they test and perfect a deck.

Re: deck testing

SteveGoblin
Most realistic way at the moment is to play by directly inviting someone of a like mind, perhaps having discussed it beforehand.

Re: deck testing

BiggBallze
I've been play testing all of the contest decks both online and offline.  I found that the only way to really test the deck is just play it over and over and over.  Some of the contest decks are just fun, some are good, and some are weaker.

Offline I played against each faction on the map at least twice, so minimum of 14 games total for each deck.  All the decks held up against the AI for the most part.  This really was enough to show the strengths/weakness of the decks.

Online I played more than a few games against Bourke's pyrohydra/living essence/burning world deck and lost terribly.

However, against other players, each deck did about as well online as it did offiline. Full reviews to come...

Re: deck testing

BourkeStreet
This post was updated on .
I too like to test my new decks online in PVP but finding opponents is sometimes difficult depending on the time of the day so I resort to playing AI but their powercards are so overwhelming. When my PVP opponent is testing a deck, I often offer to play a weaker deck because I know the hardship of testing decks. A test mode would be useful but I know that the goblins are extremely busy these days.

BiggBallze wrote
Online I played more than a few games against Bourke's pyrohydra/living essence/burning world deck and lost terribly.

However, against other players, each deck did about as well online as it did offiline.
Lol