decks with small minions

Valentino
Hi all,

could you show a deck which works only with small minions?

I am not interested to kobo/blood orb or quick minions

I would like to see how it faces big minions

Thank you!

Re: decks with small minions

Quintivarium
I'm sure my decks would be very different than, say, Orange's, but my typical "small minion" decks might run something one of the following.  At least the second is probably very far from your playing style.  And I'm not sure that these wouldn't be improved by the inclusion of selected big minions.

Deck 1 (Ocean/swamp):  A deck based upon reducing enemy power.  I think you will find it far more vulnerable to cards like aquamancers and fire rain than dragonfish and ruby dragons.  The deck does want for some real damage inflicting cards.  In actual play I'm likely to switch banchees and aqualid mages for cards like deepsea things, ocean dragons, or razor sharks
   4 aqualid hunters
   2 sirens
   4 shimmer squids
   2 aqualid mages
   4 triton aquamancers
   2 sink
   4 liquefy
   2 sunken treasure
   4 ancient ghosts
   2 howling banchees
   4 undead tritons
   4 bodyswap
   2 zombie mob

Deck 2 (forest/air): A deck based upon stalling opponent lanes while using tornado coupled with quick minions over the tornado to damage opponent.  Again, the real vulnerabilities are fire rain, giant volta, and calm seas -- not the big minions.  Again, the deck is probably more reliable when I trade life force and evolve (taken simply to punish someone who tries to play an aquamancer) for ancient oak or for cloud dragons (which also requires swapping storm fiends for either dragonflys or giant owls)
   4 deepwood spider
   4 deepwood fey
   4 living maze
   4 tree of life
   2 life force
   2 evolve
   4 rooted
   4 tornado
   4 spell net
   4 cloud fey
   4 storm fiend

Re: decks with small minions

Quintivarium
In the spirit of this thread, is there anyone willing to offer up a reasonable deck with 50% or more spells, traps, items, or auras?  I am very curious how such decks can work as I always run into major problems if I don't have at least 60% minions, or at least barriers.

Re: decks with small minions

markturnergoblin
This deck of mines seems to do well and it has few minions (14)

 2 ruby dragons
 2 beserk djinn
 2 cinderlings
 2 magmashperes
 4 firebirds
 4 primal flames
 4 metior
 3 fire rain
 1 flamspike or seige cannon
 3 implode
 3 living bomb
 4 heart of fire
 3 captured flames

 2 stitched golems
 1 murder of crows

Re: decks with small minions

Quintavarium
Mark,

Thanks for sharing this deck.  I have tested it pretty thoroughly in the same manner I use with my own decks -- playing each region once, surrendering and restarting if I don't like the power cards that come up (things like vitality, ancient curse, master crafter, druid's blessing, even empower are OK, things like mass delusion, medusa touch, vampiric touch, and, with this deck, hypnosis are not), and recording results.

I did find the deck forced me into a different style of play from my usual (which is what I was hoping and am learning from), but I do wonder if my experience in the 21 games I played vs. the AI is consistent with your experience.

I found I was tapping the deck for more cards relatively often -- in part because I frequently had two power points I could spare (definitely a good design feature), but in part because I was hunting for a minion (not so desirable).  Do you do the same?

I was often wanting minions I did not have.  Most of the time this was not a serious problem, because my opponent was also very short on minions (thanks to all my destruction spells and abilities, and unlike my decks which fail because I don't have minions when I need to block enemies), but even then I felt like more minions would have helped me do damage instead of nicking an opponent with one firebird.  Is this consistent whith your experience?

I found the primeval flames to be very pivotal cards with flexibility to either block or inflict damage.  While I think I could find substitutes for almost any other card, I would hate to play this deck without the primeval flames.  Would you agree?

Although the deck's overall record, 16-5, when I played the AI is solid, I did have some very bad losses (for example a 0-42 loss against a forest deck with vitality, lots of unicorns, and fey spirits backed by wild strength -- a deck I almost always beat with my regular decks).  Most wins were not particularly comfortable -- unlike my decks loaded with big minions which feel completely dominating -- until they don't work at all against certain opposition.  Is this something I should expect, is it a phenomina of playing outside my stylistic comfort zone, is it caused by playing AI rather than human competition, or do you think I am handling the deck wrong?

Once I've culled what I can from the experience of playing this deck, I intend to delete it.  Do you think I would benefit from some PVP games first?  (It is hard for me to play vs. other humans without getting a million interruptions -- so I prefer to do most testing vs AI.)

Thanks again for a very insightful deck.

Re: decks with small minions

I think this deck did better versus players for some reason, but i had to kill them off slowly with a siege cannon in some stand off ones.I should probably put a couple more minions in. The primal flames can deal with any pests and once you have a few hearts of fire out you can cast a load of spells off quite fast.
 Against life gaining decks though this will run out of steam as you have found.

Re: decks with small minions

Mack the Knife
Honestly speaking I had few games with newbies and I had less fun than with the AI
attitudes like that discourage people from playing on-line.   you guys had to learn sometime so maybe if you stepped down from your high horses for a minute and listed more of the decks that work for you the best, those of us that don't live and breath Spellcraft each day of the week could learn something and perhaps present  more of a challenge when playing on-line.

Re: decks with small minions

markturnergoblin
I cannot see where this is said

Re: decks with small minions

Mack the Knife
This post was updated on .
here's a clue from Peter, Paul, and Mary:

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?

by the way mark, my comment was not directed at you unless, of course, you're guilty too.

Re: decks with small minions

markturnergoblin
Here are a couple of decks that seem to work ok:

a fire/ underworld one that I made to deal with big monsters.

4 magmasphere
4 ruby dragon
4 lava elementals
2 pyromancers
3 firebirds
4 primal flames
3 detonation
3 implode
4 living bomb
4 captured flames

2 primeval ooze
3 psychic vortex

An Air/Jungle one. Mainly small minions and a lot of traps.

2 Aeromancers
3 doomclouds
2 lightning golems
4 whirling djinn
3 chronomancer
3 overload (good for putting on the minions that already have a big timer)
4 uncontinue (good for chronomancer or dart traps)
4 storm core

4 savage trapper
4 ambush
4 poison darts
3 snake pits

Re: decks with small minions

This is my only deck which satisfies you request: 50% minions, 50% other card types.

It is the quickest I have, but also fragile against control decks which are quick enough.

4x sea dragon
4x razor sharks
4x triton aquamancers
4x triton hunters
4x shimmerpearl
4x lost at sea
4x aeromancers
4x energize
4x tornado
4x storm core

as you see there is only 1 spell: energize, which is the key combo of the deck.
And you can guess the ping-pong effect that aeromancers and sea dragons do on it.

That spell must be played on razor sharks and sea dragons when they are played to make them attack in clean paths.

Re: decks with small minions

Valentino
Please be aware that this deck I built is very different from the others I am used to play with. I just had the idea to try to make a combo deck with energize as key card and it worked very well, however it forced me to a different style of game - which is perhaps what you are looking for.

Once you fix the idea of energize as key card, it is pretty straightforward.

BTW: what I learnt by doing is that energize can be used also on aquamancer in case you need more control and less speed.

Re: decks with small minions

I tried your second deck. Frankly that's not my style at all because I am not the kind of player which likes control decks.

I didn't like the spider card at all in that deck and according to my deck building criteria I changed it as follows to make it quicker and more aggressive:

4x aeromancer
4x storm fiend
4x cloud fey
4x magic missiles
4x tornado
4x spell net
4x dragon fly
4x living maze
4x rebirth
4x roated

Your feedback is appreciated given that I have a totally different point of view about deck strategies.

Re: decks with small minions

Valentino
You can also try this one, just created. It seems to work decently:

4x ruby hatchling
4x firebirds
4x meteor
4x heatseeker
4x living bomb
4x buring blood
4x deepwood ash
4x dragonfly
4x faerie enchantress
4x rebirth

faerie enchantress are used to draw burning blood, which is placed where opponent creatures are placed.

You use creatures to destroy such creatures: firebirds, ruby hatchling, deepwood ash
if they are not enough you use meteor or living bomb. U can even use them to block opponent minions and then rebirth them.

If this is not enough you use the elusive skills of dragonfly and then use the living bomb on it.

Not tested enough, but worked with me. 50% creatures - only 1 big one, pretty quick deck

Re: decks with small minions

Quintivarium
You all have gotten way ahead of me  -- it will take a week just to try all this, let alone attempt to improve on it.  Here's to a fun week!

The spiders in my second deck were for three reasons:
1.  I now build decks by first choosing 8 cards capable of neutralizing aquamancers.  Yes, that one card has become that distorted.  The spiders served that role (your modification should have no issue with aquamancers.)
2.  Spiders are a good cost 4 card able to block stron minions in a pinch, then move away.  Cost 4 complements the many cost 1 cards.
3.  Spiders increase the effectiveness of tornados by removing elusive.  They thus allow me to eliminate certain cards like deepsea things that may have grown, but othherwise run away from tornados.

I'll have to try your fix to the deck, you might have changed it to a much more competitive deck.  By the way, in terms of PVP performance, a slight modification of this deck was my #2 deck.  I did not post that deck because in tinkering, I have forgotten the exact original.  Clearly being my #2 deck is not a place of honor :)

Re: decks with small minions

Valentino
Just to be clear:
Spiders are a nice card in that deck, but I preferred to change it to a 3 PP card because otherwise there's not much left you can play in the same turn.

If you had 1 pp card in combo with that to be played in the same turn I'd have liked it a lot.

Obviously don't take for granted my decks are better than yours. Especially when I have to adapt my strategy to decks I am not used to. Maybe I made it worse, most likely!

I am just a big fan of 5/3/2 pp card only decks.

Re: decks with small minions

Art
Let me join this now:

with 16 minions, this is a deck that I've played many times.

4 Inferno (key card)
4 Cloud of Bats (to fuel inferno)
4 Dark Secrets (draw faster/fuel inferno)
4 Living Bomb
6 Meteor+Flame Spike+Fire Rain (a total of 6 fire spells that are used to destroy targets, can always put more)
2 Firebirds
4 Magmasphere
9 Lava Elementals+Pyromancers+Skeleton Crew etc. (any 2 cost minions you like from Fire/Swarm)
2 Bodyswap
1 Vampire Consort

Hope you guys like this