favorite factions

Quintivarium
What are your favorite and least favorite minions?  By “favorite”, I’m not necessarily thinking which you consider most powerful (although that might be a large consideration) so much as which contribute most to your enjoyment of the game.  My answers follow:

0 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: aetherfish – surprisingly useful under a wide variety of circumstances.
   Least favorite: shimmerfish – I don’t want to waste a card on a weak creature
                                              that can only grant me one power, if I can play it
                                              and if it survives.

1 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: pulsar – a very tough decision as all cost 1 minions bring valuable flavor to the game.
   Least favorite – not a card, but the fact that jungle has no cost 0 or 1 minions.

2 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: savage trapper – amidst a wealth of interesting cards, the trapper stands
                                          out by the strategies it makes possible and the value
                                          it adds to traps.
   Least favorite: triton aquamancer – overpowered, often ruins game.

3 Casting Cost:
   Favorite (tie): primeval ooze – a nice minion negator with balancing drawback.
                        deepspawn – very useful cost 2 special.
   Least favorite: feral elemental – far inferior to other quick minions, e.g. ruby hatchling.

4 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: living essence – invaluable for numerous combinations but useful alone.
   Least Favorite (tie): darkling assassin – a good card that doesn’t suit my style play.
                                 savage riders – too much cost for too little punch.

5 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: giant constrictor – a very useful card, especially with stranglevines.
   Least Favorite: giant constrictor – a classic love/hate relationship.  The card is
                                                     over-powered, reducing satisfaction from its use.

Re: favorite factions

BourkeStreet
This post was updated on .
Favourites, not most effectiveness:

0 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: Arcane Thief – May get lucky to steal 3 first turn if the opponent has a bad hand, also being able to tap it to survive another round opposing a stronger creature. It also forces the opponent to use up their mana each turn otherwise you would steal their mana and have an advantage. There are some situations where a player would rather pass their turn with remaining powerpoints than to use them – I do this very often.
  Least favorite: Cave Rats – inferior to Shimmershoals, heh.

1 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: Pulsers can sometimes be amazing.
Chanting Druids are always good.
   Least favorite: Tunnel runners and Flesh Golems. They have uses but they don’t fit my style and I would rather use the 1 powerpoint for something else.

2 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: Pyromancers and Aquamancers. If you play me, you would know. :)
   Least favorite: Fire Wolf –Ability costs 1 powerpoint – not bad but not worth the summoning cost and having 1 HP. I don’t like 1HP minions in general.

3 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: Primeval Ooze – Very good for ruining the opponent’s strategies.
Flame Spider – Matches my Fire Deck play style. Instant 1 damage and 2 strength/elusive to block lanes.
   Least favorite: Smoke Elemental – 3 cost for a 1/1 elusive/combat immune hmm. Again, I don’t like it’s 1HP.

4 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: Deepwood Spider – Removing elusive of a weaker strength minion threat may be wondrous
Savage riders – could be very useful. However I don’t play jungle decks.
   Least Favorite: Blessed unicorn – 3/2 minion for a 4 summoning cost which also grants 3 HP. I don’t like getting tied up with useless minions on the board. Imagine this card facing a Lava Giant/Triton Assassin/Darkling Assassin/Undead Giant. However it’s 3HP grant does suit some strategies I don’t use.

5 Casting Cost:
   Favorite: Dragonfish – it’s sheer power can sometimes crush the opponent single-handedly. I’m also very fond of Pyrohydras.
Giant Constrictors excel with Stranglevines
   Least Favorite: Ravager – it’s quite taxing.

Re: favorite factions

MadAdaM
Hey there! I understand that you like playing Fire + Ocean, don't you?
Would you share your decklist with us? For the moment, mine is as follows:

1x Pyrohydra
1x Pyrosaur
1x Ruby Dragon
1x Flamespider
4x Magmasphere
3x Ruby Hatchling
3x Pyromancers
1x Primeval Flame
1x Meteor
1x Catastrophe
4x Flamespike
3x Captured Flame
2x Dragonfish
1x Sea Dragon
1x Triton Aquamancers
4x Sunken Treasure
4x Shimmerpearl
4x Lost at Sea

Consider I never bought single cards until now, just 40-card boosters.

Re: favorite factions

Quintivarium
I am assuming you were probably addressing Bourke Street, rather than me, but since my reply does not prevent Bourke from replying as well, I will share my thoughts.

I am happy to share a couple of ocean/fire decks I use, but first I want share a few cautions and to  talk about your deck.

Caution 1: If, as I assume from your post, you are in a relatively early stage of collecting cards, you will be far better served buying booster packs than buying individual cards.  Especially with rare cards, unless you are just dying to try one out and the card is usable in a wide variety of possible decks, my experience has been that particular cards are not worth their purchase price until I have gold to burn.

Caution 2: Based upon your deck, our playing styles differ pretty dramatically.  You will very possibly find my decks feel awkward.  For example, you have under 50% minions and barriers; I tend to prefer more like 70% minions or barriers.  You also have 7 items that generate power -- a kind of card I don't like -- but I think your deck needs them for efficient utilization of power points.

Caution 3:  Although I have used them effectively (at least at times), fire and ocean are not my favorite factions.  Fire does not fit my preferred style of play, while ocean houses a card I consider overpowered and am presently boycotting.

So let me talk about your deck.

First, I would expect your deck to be pretty effective.  You have done a good job selecting powerful and usable cards.  Every minion chosen is formidable in its own right; every spell except catastrophe is very useful in almost every game.  You have a good selection of cards usable on the initial, three power point turn, etc.  I am a bit uncomfortable with only 18 minions in your deck -- I bet there are numerous occasions that you are wanting to play one, but have none available.  However, the sunken treasures compensate somewhat by ensuring you will generally have quick access to cards, and often a spell destroying an enemy is more effective than a minion blocking it.  I am also uncomfortable with the 18 cost three cards in your deck.  When you play a cost three card, you are left with two power points that can be very hard to use effectively, but those cost three cards are slowly overwhelmed by enemy cards costing 5 power.  You only have 7 cost 2 cards to pair with your cost 3 cards, and 4 of these are sunken treasure which do not strengthen your presence on the board.  Now, your pearls and captured flames will compensate somewhat -- you can probably often play two cost 3 cards in one turn.  So my discomfort here may be more a matter of style than a true weakness.

Probably the best suggestion I have for improving the deck is to look not just at individual cards, but at how they work with other cards in the deck.  In some cases, you have done this well (as when you add captured flames and shimmer pearls to your plethora of cost three cards), but you are not consistent in this.  Let me take a few examples.

Catastrophe can be a devastating card -- nothing more dramatically re-configures the board.  But unless one is very careful, it hurts oneself as much as the opponent.  So I ask when you would likely use it.  You need 3 fire forces in play, and you will lose all you forces (except for your single, magic immune primeval flame) when you play it.  So you would need relatively weak cards in play while your opponent has stronger cards in play -- and even then you only equalize the board; you don't gain advantage.  And with the low number of forces in your deck, you really can't afford the loss of those needed to trigger the card.  Catastrophe is most useful when you have a deck full of magic immune cards and lots of cheap fire minions to sacrifice when you trigger it -- not at all the case of your deck.

Pyrohydra is another extremely nice card.  But its value is not in its 3/3 attack/health -- its value is in its regeneration and growth ability.  A wise opponent will do his best to avoid triggering this.  Pyrohydras are at their best when your deck contains the ability to trigger their growth.  Cards like giant volta, fire shroud, rage, burning world, and detonation can all serve this purpose; your deck contains none of these.  Of course, there are times when the damage you self-inflict allows you opponent to destroy the pyrohydra.  That is a worthwhile risk -- especially if you have multiple copies of the card.

Similarly, pyrosaurs are really only worth their price if they can be used to hit the enemy.  Typically, if your opponent does not destroy the pyrosaur outright, he will block it -- likely with a strength 4 minion of his own -- you really want ways to clear these minions out of the way.  Your one meteor is a good choice.  You could also use flamespike -- although one flame spike is likely insufficient, it could be combined with the primal flame, the aquamancer, or possibly a second flame spike.  But, at best, you will clear opponents about 3 times, and far more likely only once.  Consider cards like lavapult, siren, tide caller, implode, etc. to help clear lanes for cards like pyrosaur.

Magmaspheres are one of my favorite cards. at 3/6, they stand up to almost anything -- for a while.  But they are very much a throw-away card; I don't expect to keep them long.  When you only have 18 minions in your deck, it is very dangerous to have four throw-away minions.  You really can't afford to squander what little you have -- especially when another 8 minions (the spider, hatchlings, aquamancer, and pyromancers) are relatively weak and vulnerable.

You do need to be a little careful with this advise.  When I talk about choosing cards that work together well, I am not necessarily referring to specific combinations.  Especially if you only own a couple of copies of each card, the probability of having both of two precise cards you need at the same time is small.  I generally try to think in terms of larger interactions -- for example combining lots of cards benefiting from clear lanes to hit an opponent with lots of cards that open lanes, or combining lots of cards that regenerate with lots of cards that indiscriminantly damage.  In fact, you will see these two themes featured prominently in the two ocean/fire decks I now share.

Deck 1: "Openers"
   4 deepsea things
   2 dragonfish
   4 razor sharks
   3 sirens
   2 water elemental
   2 shimmersquid
   4 triton illusionist (ocean unlockable)
   2 sink
   3 tide caller
   4 pyrosaur
   2 ruby dragon
   3 lavapult
   3 meteor
   2 implode
   4 pyrosaur
Notes:  The deepsea things, sharks, and pyrosaurs are all cards I want striking on empty lanes.  The tide callers and sirens move blocking enemies from these units, and the illusionists move these units to open lanes.  The meteor, implode and lavapults help create open lanes.  The dragonfish and ruby dragons are simply muscle to oppose muscle.  The shimmersquid and water elemental cards both create additional options for my first turn, while also creating unpleasant lanes for an enemy to move into.  Finally, the sink debuffs a powerful creature opposing one of hard hitters if I have no better option for its removal.

Deck 2: "Charge it"
   4 giant octopus
   3 sea dragon
   2 triton assassin
   4 giant volta
   4 giant urchin
   3 shimmersquid
   2 triton illusionist
   3 liquefy
   4 pyrohydra
   3 fire shroud
   3 burning world
   3 volcanic eruption
   2 burning blood
Notes:  The octopi, pyrohydras, and, to some degree, the urchins have regenerating power -- exploited by voltas, fire shroud, burning world, and volcanic eruption.  The assassins create an opponent the enemy will be loath to oppose and are useful to break deadlocks, while the shimmersquids are simply a cheap defense.  The sea dragons provide useful strength and stretch my spells by recalling one that has been used.  Liquefy is always useful, for instance, if my opponent also has regenerating units.  And the burning blood can take advantage of an enemy stranded by a volcano, or it can deter enemy use of certain lanes -- also convenient with this deck.

Re: favorite factions

BourkeStreet
This post was updated on .
I thought he was talking to you lol. It's your thread and I haven't played any Fire/Ocean decks this year. I play Pyromancers and Aquamancers in separate decks.

Re: favorite factions

MadAdaM
You're right Quintivarium, I was addressing Bourke Street. Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your reply, which is very interesting in fact. Let me reply to your "cautions" first:

1) I'm Campaign Level 48 now, while I never played PvP. Therefore yes, for the moment I'm buying boosters only;

2) I used to play Magic: the Gathering when I was younger. Probably that's why I "exceed" in non-creature cards and I like power accellerators pretty much;

3) I know you're referring to Triton Aquamancers. I own just one and I must admit it is probably the most powerful card of this game, even if I do not think it is "unbeatable" (especially if you play fire as I'm doing now).

Now, concerning my deck.

I know, Catastrophe shouldn't be there: it's just a temporary "filler". Pyrohydra is just one as you noticed, that's why I'm not playing anything synergic with it. While AI is more than willing to trigger it for my pleasure. Similarly, also the Pyrosaur is just one and even if I tried both Syrens and Implode I wasn't convinced of the result. Probably, the best solution would be to take out the Pyrosaur itself as soon as I decide what to replace it with. Talking about Magmaspheres, I must say they usually stand there long enough.

Concerning your decks instead (btw, thanks for sharing the lists).

The first one is very clear in its strategy. The only problem I can see in testing it right now is that I would have at least to invest 1200 gold in buying three more Pyrosaurs and three more Triton Illusionists.

The second one is a bit slower and "defensive" than the other, isn't it? I think it's not as fun to play as the first, even if I belive it's quite effective basing on the cards you play.

In any case, I'm quite sure you would play Triton Aquamancers in both of the decks if you weren't boycotting them. I mean, a Shimmersquid is not that force of nature!

That's it. Excuse me for my English (which is not my mothertongue) and let me thank you once again for your reply!

Re: favorite factions

BourkeStreet
Cool, cool, you got something out of Quint's post. I just got my wisdom teeth taken out today so I'll be home for a few days if you want to test out your decks on me. I've been focusing on Jungle and/or Underworld decks for a couple of months; overplayed the other factions and needed a change.

You should try to play as much PVP as possible to see more strategies in action so that you understand them and learn how to beat them.

Re: favorite factions

I just thought about another deck I play that you might be interested in.  It is not really top notch (I don't think it could compete against the best players like Bourke Street or Maryetta), but it is surprisingly effective, having won well over half the matches in which it was used.  It began as an experiment to see what I could do with only one copy of a given card.  But as I played it, I found myself continually adapting new strategies to use the cards I had in hand.  It is a great deck to really discover how cards can work together.  You likely have nearly every card in this deck already -- and substitutes would probably not make much difference.

Interestingly, the same approach did not work well with other factions -- I think this is successful because both ocean and fire have many cards that can singularly deal with a stronger enemy, and because there are lots of combinations within the fire and ocean factions

"One of Each"  Fire/Ocean
   pyrohydra
   ruby dragon
   lava giant
   beserk djinn
   cinderlings
   flamespider
   magmasphere
   smoke elemental
   fire wolf
   lava elemental
   pyromancers
   fire birds
   lava imps
   primeval flame
   meteor
   detonation
   fire rain
   flamespike
   implode
   fire shroud
   lavapult
   siege cannon
   cinderbox
   deepsea thing
   giant octopus
   sea dragon
   triton assassin
   aqualid hunters
   Sirens
   aqualid mages
   giant urchin
   shimmers1quid
   shimmerfish
   dancing jellyfish
   liquefy
   sink
   sunken treasure
   tide caller
   lost at sea

Re: favorite factions

MadAdaM,

I have not played magic the gathering more than a couple of times, and I'm sure there are a lot of similarities between Spellcraft and magic, but there are two important differences even I notice.  First, Spellcraft does not really require a build up of power like one gets by playing lands in magic -- every player gets 5 power points.  And second, Spellcraft has only 5 lanes; it is impossible to keep adding indefinitely to the number of minions in play.

Regarding your deck -- you are absolutely correct in not making major changes to create combos supporting a single card -- the frequency with which those combos arise is insufficient to justify the cards.  But do look for common synergies between cards.  One pyrosaur does not justify including a tide caller or a siren.  But a pyrosaur, 3 razor sharks, and 2 deepsea things might.

Regarding my decks -- definitely do not spend gold just to test a deck I suggest, spend it on your decks (but hopefully my decks will give you ideas for your own).

Regarding my second deck -- I find it amusing that you find it slow and defensive.  It actually is one of my most aggressive decks.  You should have seen my last PVP game with a truly slow deck: it dragged on until my opponent ran out of cards.  Neither of us was below fifteen health, and probably not more than ten minions were destroyed between both of us in the entire game.  It highlights the fact that advice from a player with a drastically different style should be taken with a grain of salt.

Re: favorite factions

MadAdaM
Your clarifications are greatly welcome. And I love the idea of trying a deck with just single copies! I'll try it very soon. Concerning power amount, I relized that you cannot play that many cards while testing a "Tritons" deck: Triton Ritual would be amazing if I had plenty of "lanes" to fill, while having just five makes using it nearly irrelevant. Too bad... I have three and really wanted to make them the core of a deck.

Re: favorite factions

Quintivarium
Actually, there is a way I've found where triton ritual can be very devastating.  But it does require a bit of luck (or at least absence of bad luck).  If you have unlocked fire prism (which requires pvp fire faction victories), you can combine it with triton ritual.  Since fire prism adds one creature health damage to every power point generated, you can imagine how nasty the combination of two, three or four rituals with one or two prisms can be.