first turn

Quintivarium
In some games (e.g. chess) there is a recognized advantage in going first.  In Spellcraft, I think the Goblins have nicely balanced the first turn jump by giving fewer power points, and it is not at all obvious whether it is better to get the first turn or the second.  I'm curious what the community thinks.  Do you prefer to go first or second, and why?

Re: first turn

.Confused.
I think it depends:

You have to plan for the eventuality that you'll play 1st, whether it is by including some 3-cost (or less) traps, minions, barriers or auras in your deck. 3-cost spells usually are worthless, for lack of a target. Also, you don't draw, so you have only 5/40 of your deck's cards to choose from.

Auras and traps can announce where you will play your big minion next and/or that you have mostly big minions. Barriers won't block anything unless your opponent plays in front of them on purpose. Traps like Spell Net and Lost at Sea, or the Cursed aura, are some of the few exceptions that make going 1st really worthwhile, along with low-cost minions.

All told, I'd say my preference for 1st or 2nd depends on my deck. I think it boils down to costs balance in planning the eventuality of playing 1st.

.C.

Re: first turn

Valentino
I prefer to go 1st when I have a nice combo or a 3 pp card to be played at first turn.

A speed deck would always prefer to go 1st. A control deck should be happy to go 2nd.