multiplayer deck inequities

Quintivarium
As a social moron, I need help with the following: during multiplayer, how does one gracefully communicate encouragement to newer players whose deck (and possibly strategy) is clearly inferior?

Yesterday I played someone whose deck had virtually no rare cards and no powerful minions.  After I played my third card, he began making disparaging comments about how badly he played, when the obvious problem was that his albino cave slugs just couldn't stand against my dragons.  (It didn't help that my deck was loaded with dragons, dragon fish, pyrohydras, and deepsea thugs so I couldn't play something small.)  I tried to communicate that I have, over time, accumulated a lot of rare, powerful cards that are hard to counter, without sounding either condescending or arrogant, but I don't think it helped.

I would probably never choose that deck if I know I'm not playing someone with the cards to cope with it, but I can't tell in advance who I will hit in game center.  So my question is, how do you greet new players?

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

markturnergoblin
Try this if you meet some one who has not played before. Dont play any rares at all(or maybe a few only). That should be challenging for you and they will be able to learn in the meantime rather than get stomped on . I find that even potential good players are usually beaten fairly easy when they first play with a real player.Its a bit of a shock after taking on the AI , but after two or three games they soon shape up and become a challenge.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

I was going to ask why Mack doesn't play multiplayer, but I'll answer here instead.

When --cw88-- and fastbridge first played me, I got the surprise of my life: noobs have much more direct, big creature approaches than more experienced (chat, mark, bulldog, bourke...) might have. It can very well be a winning strategy, tipping the minion balance against you as you try to establish your beautiful combos...

I would still play my decks as usual for a few reasons: noobs want to learn (presumably) the combos you use and use them in their turn. If you play under your skill (order of play, nasty tricks or omitting good cards), they don't benefit as much as if you played effectively, by learning less also. They can envy your cards all they want, it's not so difficult to get the best part of the card collection if you play the campaign for a bit, purchase boosters intelligently and reward the Goblins for their efforts with a bit of cash.

I have no doubt you're always kind and polite. If the noob is lacking respect to him(her)self, you can't be held accountable. I don't expect that you'll win 100% of the time against noobs either (i sure haven't!), some have played similar games before and understand well the mechanisms.

Hope it helps to make you feel better,

.Confused.
PS: i don't know if "the internet" thinks the word noob is derogative, but to me it's just descriptive.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

.Confused.
Sorry Mark, didn't see your reply since I'm so long-winded

I love your "no rare" challenge idea, but it works only on invites, not on auto-match, until we have ways to communicate within the lobby to arrange matches. Noobs should ensure they write their names in the "looking for a match" thread, befriend as many players as possible and join the glassboard (see appropriate thread).

Then, the challenge would be possible.
Unless I'm mistaken?

.C.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

markturnergoblin
I was thinking more like just dont use the rares you draw(so they are dud cards) as a good challenge against some one whos best minion is a small slug. Dont try that with with 40 rares though!
I did make an all common deck once that wasn't too bad.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

Jambo(75)
The big creature strategy is a perfectly viable one, and I'd argue there is no comparative strategy that works for loading your deck with lost cost creatures like Kobos or Slugs. Things like albino slugs are never going to be competitive.

It is very hard to counter consecutive 5 cost creatures at the start and for that reason alone, just loading your deck full of big creatures will work very well. The difference in power between the 5 cost cards and the rest is massive in this game, and unless there's a Psychic Vortex out, it's not really that much more difficult to play the 5 cost cards since you will always have 5 crystals each go.

Edit: a good example is the AI's decks. I remember playing one where the AI dumped out 5 Forest Dragons in the first 5 goes.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

markturnergoblin
I have found that when people just  play 5 cost minions they are easy to defeat and I think most experianced players will allow for this.There are many cards to deal with such a deck such as lost,taken under,vortex,lost at sea,waiting grave,sink and many more ,and you also have energy free for that turn. so for example play a 2 cost minon and a waiting grave or a lost and a 2 cost minion.
 Also the toughest deck I have fought to date contained no cost 5 minions ,some cost 4 ones,but mainly cost 2 and 1 minions.
I have also been beaten by some very good kobo decks.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

Jambo(75)
Kobo decks - really? Care to elaborate?

Most of the good counters are in underground though, right? What do you suggest for air?

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

markturnergoblin
someone had a really good one with lots of kobos and blood orbs. He was killing off his own kobos to deal lots of damage.It was very dangerous.
  Air has uncontinue but you would need decay or chronomancer. I played one yesterday where 2 or 3 archmages took out all three of my underdark worms with quick cheap spells. Tornado and gravity well will be improved in the next update too.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

Jambo(75)
Yeah I tried a deck around Gravity Well but found it too expensive particularly as I was also giving up a creature to fill a lane.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

I tried such a deck (kobos and blood orbs) and found it worked very poorly  -- first, there are only 12 kobos possible in a deck and between sacrifices and blocking larger creatures, I quickly ran out.  Second, once my opponent began to develop larger creatures, I would have to either block lanes with my own large creatures, or my kobos would die before I could sacrifice them, or I took too much damage too quickly.  Finally, any human player would target the vulnerable kobo summoners so I really didn't get my cheap creatures that rapidly.  If it is not the basic strategy, can anyone identify what is wrong with my deck?

4 dreamfeeders (cheap, but able to block midsized creatures)
4 kobo summoners
4 kobo miners
4 kobo tunnel runners
3 lost (to suppress a larger creatures for a turn)
2 wrong tunnels (to protect kobo summoners from minions)
3 narrow tunnels (to keep an open lane for sacrifice)
4 undead giants (to utilize my discarded minions and block big creatures)
4 necropolis (to quickly block lanes when necessary)
4 cloud of bats (more creatures to sacrifice)
4 blood orbs (to do the sacrifices)

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

Quintavarium
Thanks to some good games with orange,  i now know how to fix the deck.  I needed a way around the inconsistent strategies of blocking lanes and sacrificing units.  Goodby giants and necropolises!  If you want more details, you'll have to play me.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

Art
U re welcome, I am interested in kobo decks as well.  Look forward to play with your new version anytime.

Re: multiplayer deck inequities

Heres one deck I made with them:
2 darkling assassin,4 kobo summoners,4 kobo miners, 4 kobo tunnelrunners, 4 taken under, 4 lost, 4 cave ins, 2 psychic vortex, 2 necro mages , 2 bodyswap, 2 horrify, 2 blood orbs and 4 waiting graves.
I played one versus orange that used bats which worked well, so maybe a few of these in it would be good.