old puzzle re-visited

Quintivarium
Several months ago, Valentino suggested a very interesting puzzle/problem:  if you have the first turn, you can pick the ideal draw of your cards (abiding by the general rules of the game -- only 2 factions, at most 4 copies of each card, etc.), and if your opponent plays nothing on his turns, what is the maximal total amount of damage you can inflict by the end of your third turn.

And Orange came up with a very elegant solution that I believe was optimal -- 45 points of damage was possible.  With the introduction of the new unlockable cards, I revisited this problem.  Incredibly, I am now able to inflict a total of 85!  And I use very few of the same cards that Orange did.

I wanted to post this for two reasons.  First, there are many new players now who may not have seen Valentino's original problem -- and it is definitely worth considering.

But also, I think this is a dramatic illustration of how dramatically the introduction of even a few new cards can change certain characteristics of the game.  Valentino originally wanted players to consider how fast a deck could potentially be.  In that spirit, I submit my results as an indication of how much faster the game has become.

By the way, if anyone wants to see these solutions, ask and I will post them after players have had time to contemplate the problem.

Re: old puzzle re-visited

Valentino
Wow. I am still in the hall of fame, isnĀ“t it? :-)