over powered and just wrong

PissPaulPete
So, here is the scenario.  I'm in an entertaining battle.  I playing an ocean fire deck, against an air underworld deck.  My rank is around 140 something and I am battling a guy with a rank around 950 something, but I am holding my own.  I am fending off his time eater, chronomancer, uncontinue barrage as best as possible.  I finally start to make some head way by getting out a pyrohydra and Giant volta tandem and burn all of my flame spikes to get rid of his chronomancers.  So, though I'm gonna lose my volta to a timer at least I have a couple of rounds to power up my hydra.  My opponent plays a delusion on my hydra, which stung due to all the effort it had taken to get him out cleanly and still alive.  However, that isn't what gets me.  Three rounds later when both our hydra's are at 6 health and his is about to go away my opponent casts burrow under on his hydra, safe hole and chronochime.  So, now he has a 6 strength hydra I can't block for 3 rounds and I can't attack him for 6 rounds.

I can't believe you guys would allow a combination like that to be available for the cost of only 5 power.  The chronochime costs zip, nil nothing, really.

 I'm not gonna lie I lost my cool and was less respectful than I should have been, who ever it was I was playing my apologies.  I shouldn't have went off the deep end on a well thought out constructed deck.

So, that is why I'm here to gripe in the forums.  I normally would never come into a forum flaming, but I like this game.  I think the goblins have done a good job.  I even bought some gold to show some support.  I guess that was what really got me.  I felt there was no way that combo should have been available without a little more cost.

Re: over powered and just wrong

BourkeStreet
Nothing about this sounds overpowered. His strategy just happened to have bested yours.

It's not a combo that only costs 5 power. A 0 pp card still costs 2 pp for an unchanneled draw and play but that combination is very situational and needs the required cards in hand to pull off. The cost of that combination is needing all the right cards or face being extinguished quickly. You, buffing your Pyrohydra to 6 strength knowing he had Air/Underworld cards didn't help either. Straight away seeing Air/Underworld with timer cards, you should have been cautious about the possibility of those very obvious combinations.

Pyrohydra is a double edged-blade. It's one of my favourite cards. You need to be wary of situations where it can be used against you such as this one.

The flow of the game could've been the different if you didn't so heavily invest in the one Pyrohydra in one lane with those risks. You set it up to be used against you in this game. Your opponent out played you.

Nothing overpowered about timer combinations in general come to mind.

Re: over powered and just wrong

The other thing is ,You are doing well if you are taking opponents like this and holding your own. If he has a rating this high he will probably know all the cards very well and possibly know what kind of cards you may be using to some extent.
It may also be possible that he got the right cards at the right time and made it all look overpowered.
 I did play some decks with burrow ,safehole and other timer cards , but somehow chronochime never came out when I needed it.

Re: over powered and just wrong

PissPaulPete
Outplayed, eh possibly, out payed definitely/ played the game for longer definitely.  Gentlemen, nothing is ever as cut and dried as you are making it out.

 I'm sure we wouldn't even be having this discussion if there was some reasonable form of ranking system.  Honestly, I don't have a whole lot of fun getting mauled by people with 1k plus decks.  It feels like I'm the retarded kid at school getting beat up by the bullies.  I'm sure for most of these guys who have attained this rank it's probably not as much fun tearing me a new one either.  I will complement the community as a whole, most of the high ranked players are very gracious and humble as they pummel me.

However, I have greatly digressed.  Perhaps, it was just a perfect storm, perhaps like you were so kind to point out "His strategy just happened to have bested yours."  I would love to have the cards available to me to be able to construct decks, with possible defenses.

I find myself in a situation were I am having difficulty leveling up in campaign or beating higher ranked players.  I feel like the problem was early own, I had no conception of how difficult the campaign would become so I didn't really focus on creating one deck.   I tried everything and as a consequence, I have nothing, as far as completed decks that can really compete.

I'm thinking about creating another apple account to try and start over we'll see, maybe I'll be smarter the second time around.

Thanks for the responses.

Re: over powered and just wrong

PissPaulPete wrote
I'm sure we wouldn't even be having this discussion if there was some reasonable form of ranking system.  Honestly, I don't have a whole lot of fun getting mauled by people with 1k plus decks.  It feels like I'm the retarded kid at school getting beat up by the bullies.  I'm sure for most of these guys who have attained this rank it's probably not as much fun tearing me a new one either.  I will complement the community as a whole, most of the high ranked players are very gracious and humble as they pummel me.
!
If you're stuck on the campaign, you might be able to get specific tips here for the really difficult levels.

For the ranking system, we have been working on that and something will be coming I promise. We'll probably make it optional, so there is "open" matching as it is now and "banded" ranking to match equal players.

Re: over powered and just wrong

PissPaulPete
Thanks for the update Mike, It gives me something to look forward to.

Re: over powered and just wrong

SteveGoblin
More thoughts on the matter:

(1) Yes, it's not really ideal that newer players face old pros. In the beginning it didn't matter. It does now, and a better matching system will happen.

(2) The nature of combinatoric card games is that experienced people will find better combinations. That is, in some sense, the entire point. Otherwise it would be a stalemate each game. Better players exploit any edge or advantage from card combos that work well together.

(3) Some combinations appear overpowered in some situations, especially when the player gets lucky and the plan come together perfectly. But even the more common cards will solve a lot of problems.

Re: over powered and just wrong

There is a second point you have made here that I think is very relevant -- I have experienced the same myself.  It is extremely hard, if not impossible to beat some of the AI levels with starter decks, or even limited card selection.  By the time one reaches AI decks numbered about 15 or 16 which I think is about campaign level 60, there are probably insufficient regions one is able to defeat to advance and no way to earn gold to buy more cards.  Since one wins about 100 gold every level, maybe a little more at higher levels, a player will have earned around 7000 gold total by level 60.  This will buy about 20 big booster packs -- more than enough to make 2 or 3 really good decks if one focuses on a few factions.  But if one distributes those boosters evenly amongst the 7 factions, three booster packs in any single faction may not provide adequate card selection to do so.

The ability to just start over would be very nice.  Creating a new apple id allows this, but is awkward -- especially if one plays other games.

There are a few other ways to get gold, such as through the benevolence of other players who are willing to surrender even if winning, but these can be abused to deprive the Goblins of well deserved revenue from sale of gold.

Re: over powered and just wrong

Interesting, yes there are times a reset would be good. I have thought about a reset.
It would need a lot of warnings though!

Alternatively, buy some gold and a large pack for your chosen faction - problem solved? ;-)
And no need to replay all those levels! :-)