"Rage Quitting" (sic)

Quintivarium
In on-line chat, there has been a debate over "rage-quitting" that I wanted to bring here -- if only because I prefer to type on an actual keyboard.

Like Confused, I find the term offensive.  My basic complaint is that it ascribes (or at least implies) a motive to the quitter which the term's user has no basis to impute.  I have quit games abruptly because my autistic daughter  had let our often unruly dog out the front door, because she had gotten into Crisco shortening and was using it like playdoh, or because she took my hand, looked me in the eye, and actually used words to ask for pizza.  When this occurs, I often don't have time to type "Good Game" and consider it a courtesy that I quit rather than just dropping the phone and leaving my opponent hanging.

Even when quitting is not due to some small emergency, there is a long standing tradition in civilized gaming of players, in what they perceive as hopeless situations, simply resigning rather than drawing out a foregone conclusion.  "Rage" has nothing to do with it.

Finally, if my opponent truly does quit from frustration, I think it far more appropriate to ask myself if I couldn't have been more encouraging rather than boast about it as though it is some accomplishment.

Now I recognize it is easy to simply apply some commonly used term without really thinking about its connotations, and most players when using the term really mean to be neither boastful nor insulting.  I very much doubt its use has much if any impact on Spellcraft's player base.  But to paraphrase a maxim I very much take to heart, "You can tell more about people by what they say about others than by what others say about them."

Re: "Rage Quitting" (sic)

.Confused.
I like the way you put it, Quint, and agree with you in a large part.

Just to clarify my thought about the effect on the player base:
It is not the term "rage quitting" or any other label that, methinks, has detrimented the retention potential of our community; i deplore the following: the action of leaving a game in frustration is a result (a symptom) that they had no fun. Like you, I think that in this case, the person who caused someone else to leave in frustration should do a minimum of introspection and reflect upon where they could improve their behaviour.

I'm not in the habit of repeating hobbies that do not bleep on my fun-o-meter and if I brand Spellcraft as a toxic environment full of brats, I'm most likely not to come back to it and stop playing the game altogether. I know for a fact that mature players have been hurt/sick of/condescendant of/disappointed by the disparaging and derogatory chat of less mature players. Quite a few complained to me, as we had great relationships at the time, but are nowhere to be seen now. I use the term egocentric because it is the term i read from other people (plus many more less flavourful) and it is the term that best decribes the behaviour of the deviant players. It is the loss of virtual-but-real-people-friends I mourn and it is their loss that I consider as an effect of this behaviour on the player base.

Always have solutions to offer:
Lead the way: Encourage players to stay polite and mature in their interactions. With the realization of the internet age, we are still struggling with a decent "netiquette". Be an example yourself, now.
Communication: Discuss it, people who disagree can definitely exchange polite arguments, like VikingNos did. Agreeing to disagree is OK!
Acceptance: Accept that other players will remain childish and blinded by their ego; we can ask the Goblins for ways to simply avoid them.
Patience: The current discussion is awesome! But we mostly share a same point of view. Others might answer who have different points of views and change can be long to come. Patience can also be shown by choosing to ignore part of what we see, trusting in people's capacity to mature over time.

Cheers,

.Confused.

PS: I have written a few more posts than there are dalmatians in the story. Hmmm.

Re: "Rage Quitting" (sic)

Molotch
So far I have not played PvP although have been playing Single Player for some time.
Having read your, always erudite, thoughts on this matter one thing occured to me.
Would it not be possible for the Goblins to add a quit button that presented the opposing player with something like "thanks for the game, but I really have to go - sorry"?